I know a lot of you are great at being missionaries. I'm not. I'm actually quite okay with that. I feel like I'm a great friend and neighbor. I don't hide who I am, but I love my friends for who they are and feel no pressure to pressure. I know there are blessings on the other side, the blessings of sharing but I've never really felt that personally. Back in the Army days, I shared the gospel a lot, but I never actually gave away a book of mormon, the missionaries gave it to the people who asked to go to church with me. I shared what I believed, but well, it was just a very different experience.
This last Saturday I had been over at my friend Carol's house working on soccer stuff. I knew I had time to finish a few more things up before I needed to get home to get ready for ward temple night, but felt like I should just go. So I did. I usually go one way home, but for some reason ended up taking the other way home at the last minute. I didn't think anything about those two things. It wasn't like I felt like I had this huge impression..go that way or leave now, just a thought that I should get home sooner, and a thought that due to the time of day this way might be faster.
As I was going down the road, I saw on the other side of the road a mini van with smoke coming out of the engine. I always want to stop but don't usually feel it's the safest thing for me to stop. I don't want to put myself or kids at risk. So I usually drive by feeling bad. But this time I saw an infant carrier on the side of the road with them, and didn't feel good since it's over a hundred degrees outside here in Arizona, and the middle of the afternoon was not a great time for that. So I flipped around and pulled up and asked if I could give them a ride anywhere.
The husband was so grateful. He asked about 10 times if I was sure it wasn't too big of a deal. It wasn't at all on the way home, infact about 25 min the wrong way, but all I could think is what if that was my baby. So of course I said it was just fine. I knew I'd possibly miss ward temple night, but felt it was a good excuse. So I loaded up a 2 month old, a 18 month old, a 3 year old, twin 5 year olds and a 7 year old with their mom and left the dad behind to wait for the tow truck.
While driving them home the mom got talking about how she felt God had really been watching over their family today. She said that she felt that God had sent me to her. I told her I agreed. I told her how usually I don't stop not that I don't want to help but I don't want to put my family in risk but I felt that it was the right thing to do. She asked if I was religious and had found a church I liked. She went on to explain that they had just moved here and were looking for a new church to go to. I told her I was LDS. She said, "REALLY?" in that tone of shock. I was ready to say that yes LDS are Christians and such but felt like I should just hold my tongue. I'm glad I did. She asked how big a church these LDS were. I said it was a world wide church.
She said she was so surprised to hear me say that as she had never heard about it before today. But while they were on the side of the road a car pulled over and they said they felt bad they didn't have any room to give them a ride but they were on their way back from a church activity and had a bunch of cold drinks in the back of their SUV if they wanted something to drink while they waited for help. While pulling out drinks which allowed the mom to make a bottle for the youngest one and keep the others more content she told them thank you. She asked them what church they belonged to and the family had said LDS.
Then before I got there a man from the neighborhood saw them stuck and came out to see if he could help. They explained they were new in the area and didn't know a tow company. He had internet on his phone looked up a company that he trusted and called and arranged to have someone come pick up the husband and the van. She told him that she felt he was an answer to prayers and he said that he was glad to be in God's service. When she asked what religion he was he said LDS.
So when I said I was LDS she was surpised and wanted to know more. I had been cleaning out the van looking for a lost cell phone that day and had a pile of junk from around the car that needed to go in the house. On the pile was also a blue book of mormon that Ellie takes to primary. I offered it to her so she could read about what we believe. In it was the missionaries number and I also left her with the number of a friend of mine who lived near her who could help connect her with the missionaries, as well as my number.
I didn't think to get her name and number. But I gave away a Book of Mormon to someone who seemed glad to have it. It was a wonderful experience for me to feel that spirit that sharing the gospel can bring. I was super proud of myself for having the courage to do it.
As a side note, I made it in the house with time to throw on a dress and made it to ward temple night. I was truly blessed!
2 comments:
Wow! What an awesome experience. Way to listen and act!
I have chills. That is a great story. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment