The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Ellie's new "preschool"

Ellie is so excited for her first day of "music preschool"
I have stressed I'm sure way too much over what to do with Ellie this year. Because of her late birthday she won't start Kindergarten next year but the year after. But because she is almost 4 she really needs to be around more kids her own age not just me. I'm not really a big fan of two years of preschool. I'm a stay at home mom to be at home with my kids not to send them off. (I hope I don't offend anyone by this it's not my intent) But, I want to enjoy this time with her before she starts school not send her off for someone else to do it. She's not a tough kid that never lets me get anything done. I have ample time to take care of things around the house while she plays. She plays well by herself. She loves to go shopping and does really well at places like that so I don't ever mind taking her shopping with me so I don't need her to have somewhere to be so I can do it without her. The only places I can't really go with her is the gym and the temple. And length of preschool is not enough time for the temple so I have to swap that anyway. And the gym, well, there are other ways to exercise besides a gym. So I decided that I would just find a couple fun classes through the city of gilbert or something to put her in that were short but would give her something. Then we found a dance class that is very affordable for 45 min a week during the day. Perfect. Then my friend said she was going to start a program called "Let's play music". So I decided to go with it and that is her "music preschool" as she calls it. It's one day a week and every other week I go and play with her at it. I think it's the best combination of getting her to have some time with other kids but not too much away from me. Here is my other thing I think I should put out there. The "Let's play music" program as a whole is something I think is fun but also unnecessary educationally just like i feel about preschool. I think kids will learn and basically all catch up together at a certain point in reading and such as well as music/theory. I don't feel that my kid will be a concert pianist just because I have her learn this earlier than my other kids did. Just as I don't feel that my kids are dumb just because they didn't do lots of preschool before school. By first grade most kids are pretty even. Don't get me wrong. I know different things come easier or harder than for other kids, I'm just saying as a general rule most kids can read by the end of first grade preschool or not, and most kids can take piano later and learn all the music stuff "let's play music" or not. My intent with this program for her is something she really enjoys to have fun with it. And as long as it works in our schedule and budget and she is having fun with it we will enjoy it. So in honor of that we threw together a cake for her first day of preschool!




1 comment:

Brooke Romney said...

Okay, have to comment about how GREAT you look. What a difference a year makes! Way to go girl.