The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Thursday, August 25, 2011

My pledge that my kids will not be too idle all summer

Once we got back in town I decided that the entire rest of the summer could not be spent in idleness. Some is good but the kids needed to get out of the house, heat and all.
Since I'm not a huge pool person and we are working so hard on Ellie becoming a pool person I decided that all the kids would take at least one session of swim lessons. The girls took two sessions.
I really wanted Rachel to work on her skill as a swimmer, to build strength and to learn other strokes besides the front stroke. She did really well and loved it!
I let the boys choose what they went into. Matthew went into the highest level of lessons and worked perfecting his skills and really worked to master the butterfly and such.
It was great to see such huge improvement on him. He was already a very comfortable swimmer but to see him pefecting his stroke so it was cleaner and he was faster was great. I loved however watching him do the butterfly. That is such a strange stroke and so much fun to watch him do.
Harrison was less thrilled about the whole thing and went for Diving. He was a good foot taller than any other kid in his class. That bugged him, but he really over came a lot of fears and learned a lot.
He worked on diving head first instead of just jumping in. For someone afraid of heights this was a huge feat for him.
At the end of the summer soccer had a swim party. It was so nice to go and have Ellie want to play in the pool. And watch the other three really have fun with the strength and thigns they learned. All three jumped off the high dive with John. Way to go my brave kids.

No comments: