
My friend picked something like 7 or 8 bags this size of fruit from another amazing friend's house.

We then washed and readied the apples to start cooking. The great thing about applesauce is there is so little prep work needed.

The downfall of canning is the fruit never seems to be ripe when it's convenient. So it's something you just have to rearrange your life and make time for. But it's so worth it! The biggest thing I would love is to figure out how to make it cool outside when I can and heat up my house, but oh well, it's worth it!

After the apples are cooked they go into a handy applesauce maker. There are different types but this is the one I have which handily attaches to my kitchenaid.

You don't have to peel or core the apples. Just pop them in the attachment and out one end comes fresh applesauce.

Out the other end comes the peels and cores and seeds and such. My kids love to call it the apple poop. Yep, that's the kind of kids I have. But it makes life so easy they can call it what they want when it takes away so much work for me!

Stir in a little sugar and/or cinnamon to taste and scoop it into the jars (We always eat some fresh for dinner with chicken nuggets. My kids don't eat nuggets now without applesauce, it just goes together.)
Then you put it in the water bath canner for 15 min (no picture of this sorry). That's it.

And in the end you have this amazingly beautiful rows and rows of applesauce. I just love it! I love seeing all those jars and jars. Since these were canned for my friend I never get an end count of how many jars we made that day but I would guess around 27 quarts. Not too shabby for one day of work!
5 comments:
I'd have to agree with the kids it looks like apple poop, but as long as it gets the job done. Have you ever made apple butter? I haven't in a very long time, in fact I don't know if my kids have ever had any.
Yum! Now I'm craving apple sauce! I'm going to have to can some too! I have canned pear sauce, do you want to trade a few jars for some apple sauce? :)
You should come take a picture of all the jars on top of my cupboards. I kept only about 6 jars out. :)
Thanks again for teaching me how to make applesauce and how to can. I'm sure we'll do more... ;)
I just blanched and froze green beans today. You don't even need the rows of jars for the feeling of accomplishment--a full freezer works, too :)
Wow! You industrious girl! I love homemade applesauce, but totally agree with you that it would be a lot better if it wasn't a million degrees outside (and inside after you get finished with all the boiling)!
Post a Comment