The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Friday, August 6, 2010

Quick trip to Chicago

Okay so I know I'm going out of order but in our quick crazy trip to the midwest we stopped in Chicago to see my sister and step mom. It was so much fun to see them. We were only there such a short time, got in dinner time, stayed next day and drove out the following morning. The John spent that middle day a lot getting a hitch put on our van so we could tow the Uhal thing to get the tool thinger my dad left John when he passed away in his will. We can't afford to get it all the way back here to Arizona, we don't have a place for it either until the truck in the garage is running (hint hint eric come help my husband work on it, you could make a trip out too Joe since he got a lot done when you came out.) Well all that being said we decided to just take it down to his parents house and let it live in their garage for a bit. Hopefully they will get some use out of it until we can either get ourselves out to the midwest to live or get enough money and garage space to get it here to Arizona.

When we first got there we ate a tasty dinner made by my step mom and then enjoyed watching Alice in Wonderland. Movies were a huge thing for my dad when I was a kid. I remember the rows and rows of movies that he had cataloged to keep track of that could be "checked out" and then returned. When we'd come for the weekend we'd have good food (just no meatloaf) then watch movies and typically at some point play some board games. That is something else that I remember a lot from my childhood playing tons and tons of boardgames. We'd always get a new board game for Christmas. My kids get that same treat. It has also instilled a love of boardgames in me. I love to play with my husband, kids, and anyone else who will play. For the record I'm really not competitive I just enjoy winning a lot. So with all that said we also spent a decent amount of time playing games while we were there. Though I didn't get to teach my kids "The farming game". That's the one I remember most as a kid and one of these Christmas's it will be found under out Christmas tree!

The other thing that my husband does as a part of every trip is some sort of project to help out. It can be anything he can fix or do around the house, clearing tree limbs or mowing yards, cleaning up campsites, or the side of the beach. But whereever we are at some point on our vacation you can be you can find him working on something to better someone else's life. It is one of the many, many things I love about my husband. This trip he cleaned out the garage for my step mom. He always gets as many kids involved as he can. This year Matthew got to find the dead rat in the garage when he swept out a corner.

The rest of us really enjoyed the time to take a shower, do laundry, play wii games and just relax. It was just so nice to be out of the car again for a bit.

Thanks Jeannine and Amy for a wonderful few days. Wish it had been longer and can't wait till we get you out here again!

1 comment:

Brooke Romney said...

Looks awesome and how fun to see your loved ones. Miss you guys so much! Can't wait to hear about the start of school.