The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Monday, July 26, 2010

4th of July in Heber, AZ


So every year for the 4th of July since we have lived here in the hot state of AZ we have left the valley of the sun to enjoy a little cooler weather.

See there is just something special for me about the 4th and the fireworks. My memories of it growing up are seriously some of my best memories of childhood. I'm going to reminisce about my childhood for a few minutes here. This is my journal after all so I take the liberties to do such things.

When I was a kid we lived in SL and lived in sugarhouse for many years as a child. We'd go to sugarhouse park early in the day and sit on the hill. Have dinner and play. It was our family, many cousins, pack chairs so grandma and grandpa could hang out with us. As it would start to get dark the park would fill so there was no longer room to play. We'd do sparklers...something my kids have never done I'm sad to say. And play card games and just visit as the time gets closer and closer. It would also get colder and colder. We would start out in shorts and t-shirts and by the time the fireworks were about to start we'd have long pants and jackets and be wrapped up in blankets. You knew it was almost time when you saw the country club's firework show. You sit and enjoy it from afar. Then finally it was time. I don't know it happened this way every year but I remember 4th of July patriotic songs playing while the show happened. It made you get all antsy waiting for that finale when the skies would just explode. When it was all over you had that feeling of finality, then the U's fireworks would start and and you got to enjoy another show while all the crowds dispersed. I'd remember when it was all over the long cold walk back to the car that was parked blocks and blocks away from the park. You'd think, that's it, I don't get to see this again until next year.

But living in Utah we did get a second treat to go to Liberty park and repeat the event for the 24th of July. I miss those days!!!

So all that in mind I had a really hard time the first 4th in AZ when it never got colder it was just a huge disappointment. Not only did we not get the 24th, we also do not get to do sparklers, and it doesn't cool off. So that's when we went looking for the atmosphere I wanted to see the fireworks in.

So we found Heber AZ a cooler small town up in Northern AZ that had everything except the sparklers for the 4th. We use those light sticks to replicate sparkers as best we can. They also always hold it on the Sat nearest the 4th so we can always make it. We get to get to the park around dinner time and eat a picnic, then we play ball and cards and wait for the field to fill up. Not to mention, I love the show. It honestly is the best show I've ever seen since I was small child. You get the huge booms, you get the explosions right over your head, so close you wonder if it will fall on you. You get to snuggle up in blankets and jackets cause it's colder. And they have an incredible finale!

It is worth the drive for years like this when we just make it a day and drive up for the evening and drive back that night, and for years where we get to camp near by. This is seriously my favorite holiday and I love that my husband enjoys it all with me, and doesn't complain when I say I want to drive up for the day even though we have a huge drive ahead the following week! I love the 4th of July!!! One of these years I'll actually share my feelings on our country and history and such but that is something that's tougher for me to share with the public it's close to my heart so we'll stick with this for now.

I also wanted to make sure this picture of Ellie got added to this post. This is the stance taken when you "yell to someone" It makes me laugh every time!!! I love that girl!!!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

So glad we got to share it with you last year. Maybe next year we can again. It is a great show. (if a nasty potty experience)

Jessica said...

I second leaving the heat! We spend every 4th at my mom's in So Cal, enjoying the cool weather, and the kids get to do sparklers. :D

Leefamlee Treasures said...

I LOVE to spend the 4th in Heber too. This year, we were in Salt Lake with jackets on!!! LOVED it!