Picked up a book my son checked out from the library. I periodically do this to read them or just flip through them at times to be familiar with what my kid is reading. I have always loved that the school puts things on the books to classify them for what age they are appropriate so a kid doesn't read something they shouldn't. Well, the book is listed as a 4.8, which means the fourth grade eighth month. On page two it reads, "Car Keys?", "Check", "Money?," "Check", "Blanket?" That's for Bryce Beach, where if all goes well, with a little help from above, I'll be able to maneuver Angela at the end of the night.
So I'm feeling a little uncomfortable, so I keep reading. On page 46-48 it goes like this...Relax, she soothes, expertly sprining the buttons off my shirt. We've got a couple hours. Then I realize. Cece isn't my brother's latest squeeze; she's a call girl! My brother brought me to his apartment so he could set me up with a hooker!...i leap out of my chair, shirttails flapping like a flag. She's got her sweater half off, an image that will forever remain burned onto the back of my retinas....The sweater comes off the rest of the way. Cece says just one word, "stay." I can't take my eyes off her...I'll be seeing a whole lot more in a matter of seconds. I'm going all the way! Sensing the kill Cece reaches for the clasp of her bra."
I cut out lots That was the basics of 3 pages worth of info feeding into my 11 year old, 6th grade sons mind! Seriously, I'm not comfortable with my son as an 8th grader reading this let alone as a 6th grader, or the fact it's listed as age appropriate for a 4th grader which means it's highly likely my 4th grader will pick it up and read it! This was from the school library!
Can we say freaking out right now?
5 comments:
Wow. That is really sad. What has our society become?
Oh, yeah I had one of those too. Bailey was in third grade and the book had kids being completely rude to a teacher, cussing at him. Granted it wasn't sexual, but appropriate for third grade? I think not. And unfortunately, that kid reads so well, I really have to watch what she's reading because she's starting to want to read some of my books, which aren't all appropriate for her. I pushed her towards Harry Potter so for now she's happy, but she keeps begging me to read Twilight. I think although there isn't any sexual content in it, it's not an appropriate for a very impressionable ten year old girl. And of course I'm the evil mom because all of her friends have read it. It makes me wonder what the other moms of ten year old girls are thinking.
I'd be so calling the school right now!
Yeah, I'd be calling the school right now too! That's so crazy!
Yikes!
Post a Comment