The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Sunday, June 10, 2012

My baby is going to High School!


My sweet little boy Matthew who I remember when I couldn't wait for this over due boy to get out of my tummy has grown up on me.  Moments like this put into focus just how grown up he is!

Since we live in an area where the kids attend a K-8, and then high school starting at 9th grade this is a big change for my son.  He will leave the elementary school where he has been for the last 9 years and make his way into High school.  I can't believe we have reached that point.  I can't be that old!

This is Matthew with the principal and assistant principal.  I was very grateful for the assistant principal and all she did to help Matthew through the recovery time with his concussion to make it a smooth transition.

Matthew is a kid who for the most part keeps to himself.  He has some friends from church but doesn't really hang with kids from school.  He never really talks about them even when I try to pry.  So when these two came up and grabbed him and said, "Mom, take my picture with Matt he's my best friend" I did a little jump.  It was then followed by additional boys who needed to take their picture with their great friend Matt.  I love that even if he doesn't talk about them much, he has had some good friends through his school years.
This is his core teachers.  His math, Science, and his English teacher (she also did History).  They through in an elective class that was his day.  He did well in school largely in part to these great ladies.  It wasn't always easy for him but he worked hard.  He has kept up grades of A's and B's his whole time in school.  But missing over a week so close to the end of the year and with finals through that time, we worried about his grades.  His teachers worked with him, helped him get stuff finished and graded very generously due to his concussion and in the end he still held his normal grades of A's and B's.  I couldn't be more proud and grateful!  His biggest accomplishment was passing the big Math final at the end of the year which passed 9th grade algebra for him.  He will jump right into 10th grade math his 9th grade year.  Way to go!

I love this picture of Matthew and I.  He is in jeans yes. (He ripped a huge slit up one of the legs of his church pants that morning)  It is only me yes.  They do the promotion ceremony in the middle of the school day so the other kids were in class and John was at work.  So I found a sitter and just let it be him and I.  I couldn't have been more proud of him. 

I will admit, though it should come as a shock to noone that I cried through the ceremony.  I can't believe he's really old enough to be starting High School.  I worry, pray and am excited for him all at the same time!

1 comment:

Brooke Romney said...

I cannot believe that. He has grown up so much and is such a cute boy...you better watch those high school girls.