I was going to have Harrison write this post. I may have him come back and add stuff to it later, but for now I will write a little bit. Science camp was questionable and frustrating this year. John talked to the teacher about being a chaperone at meet the teacher night. I'm not sure and I guess it could be my imagination but we got the feeling that she really didn't want him to be one. It was frustrating as Harrison looked forward to John being one and we felt it was best for Harrison. But she would not communnicate with us. Trying to get the dates and fees for the camp was like pulling teeth. We'd done this two years ago with Matthew and the communication was amazing (same teacher). Not sure why it wasn't this year. But it wasn't. We only were told how much it cost 4 days before the money was due. By the time it was time to go, it was so late to hear how much money we didn't have extra to send John. The cost of it all had doubled since Matthew. We just don't keep several hundred extra dollars lying around. Wish we did, but we aren't in that stage of life yet. Harrison had had a tough month at school prior to camp and it became questionable whether or not he would be allowed to go. In all of that, led to a last minute decision to send him with some big consequesences if his behaviour wasn't what we expected it to be.
There was a lot of prayer in that decison. I know it was right to send him and I know I have to let go of the frustration of surrounding his getting there. But, I still wanted to remember that though all these things might be a great experience for him, getting him there can still be frustrating.
The picture here is Harrison and his best friend. I was very glad they got to be together. Two years ago while these two were in the same class as each other his friend's mom was killed in a car accident. Harrison stood by his friend through that time and has been with him for the last couple years. They have become very close and I'm grateful for the strength they have been able to provide to each other.
One of the favorite things to do at science camp is disect owl pelletts. How many things can you find in an owl pellet?Harrison loved to figure out which bones were which parts of different animals.
They also had a tire climb and during some team building experiences. Along with time to just play basketball and hang out.
And they got to finish things off with climbing the rock wall and zip lining down. He had a blast and when it's all said and done I am really grateful he went.




No comments:
Post a Comment