I will tell the story of this cake. Bride is set to get married on Wed (day before thanksgiving). Mother of groom is supposed to make cake along with do a few other things. Mother of groom informs them they she won't be doing anything for the wedding on Saturday night. I get the call on Sunday to see if I would be willing/able to step in and help. Every bride deserves a wedding cake no matter what in laws she is going to get so I committed to this last minute cake. We opted to buy premade pumpkin pie and rolls and only make things we really love...(like stove top stuffing) for our Thanksgiving since I'd be doing cake up until night before thanksgiving.
It shouldn't have been too big of a deal, spend Monday going to store for supplies and then making leaves. Spend Tues making cakes and frosting them, and glittering leaves. Assemble on Wednesday at location and be done. Now, I was realistic enough to know that it would likely require one all nighter to pull it off but I end up with those every cake pretty much so just to be expected.
What I didn't plan on was a massive migraine that I couldn't kick. So my plan got altered greatly. Didn't stay up late Monday finishing cake. It took a special ingredient to make the leaves I couldn't easily find and took some friends to find it for me. Thanks to them. They know who they are. By the time I had all that Monday night head was killing me so I just went to bed with the decision to get up and go on everything Tuesday.
So Tues I baked and made leaves all day. By 1:30 in the morning I couldn't see straight my head hurt so much so I went to bed without any of the leaves glittered, or cake cut, assembled or frosted. Not sure how I was going to pull this off with a 5:00 wedding the next day but just had to go to bed. Put out the plea to my facebook friends for help. They are incredible. Had mulitple offers for help and didn't end up needing most of them. Grateful for the offers and to know I had the help.
John opted to take the day off work and stay home and help me. So with the help of him and my great friend Krinn the two of them worked all morning putting glitter on every leaf. They are rock stars!
While they glittered I cut, frosted, and assembled the wedding cake. Made the red for the border and had it ready to deliver.
Another great friend Sariah went with me to help me finish the assembly and putting on all the leaves at the location.
Cake was up and done well before wedding started thanks to those who support me when I'm too crazy to say no to bride I feel bad for.
Thanks to all my great support!
On a final note, my husband was not so thrilled to see this many left over leaves after the cake was done. He just didn't realize how it works. Not knowing how many of what color and shape would be needed for each spot on the cake, not knowing how many would break etc. So you have to make more than you need so you can pick the best ones so the cake looks extra amazing.
But in an effort to show my husband just how much I appreciate him taking his day off work to glitter leaves, if you get cupcakes that look like these know it's my attempt to show my husband that all his leaves he worked so hard to glitter were worth the effort!
3 comments:
I love seeing all your creations, cakes, pictures you do an amazing job!
FYI we don't get too much snow, some years it sticks for longer than a couple of days, but mostly we get snow, and the kids know they better play in it before school, because it will probably be gone before they get home.
We would love to have ya come play in the snow with us though, so next time it snows in Southern Utah get in your car and start driving!
Love the cake and the colors, I always wanted a fall wedding, but things didn't work out that way and I ended up a June Bride. Oh well wouldn't change a thing now ...
so glad that bride got a beautifall cake. it's gorgeous!i can't believe you made those leaves! how special. and the cupcakes are pretty awesome as well. but, wow, that cake!
Post a Comment