The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Friday, July 22, 2011

Hogle Zoo...memories from my childhood


Our friend Kristin took us to the Hogle Zoo while we were in Utah. It was a fun little get a way. I hadn't been there since I was a kid. It seemed like such a bigger zoo when I was little. But it was a lot of fun to see so many things that reminded me of my childhood.

I will never forget the elephant slide, or the lion drinking fountain. I love how close all the animals are to you.

It was fun to tell the kids about the trip to the zoo with my cousin Jimmy. He had a sandwich in his arm and I will never forget the long purple tongue of the giraffe as he leaned out and slurped the sandwich right out of his arm.

While in Utah we did quite a bit of walking down memory lane. Though when Rachel asked if all these different roads were really called memory lane we all had a good laugh. We visited all the favorite places in provo, where we lived, worked favorite places to eat, etc. We visited through Sugar house our old house, the little pharmacy store where I always loved to get sweedish fish and berries from the penny jars. We went by all the schools that I attended as a kid and the things I remembered about each.

We also took some time to visit lots of friends and such that I don't hardly ever see anymore. I didn't always do good about taking pictures but we played at the pool with Brooke Romney and her kids. I went to Leatherby's one of my favorite places as a kid with my kids one night. Then back there again with Sharon and Annette. They reminded me of our favorite quote we would always say when life was hard. "Ice cream and Prayer solve all your problems." I think I could still agree with it. Ice cream coats it, and prayer solves it. That was always our theory.

We went down to Lindon and saw Jenn Mosteller, a woman who got me through college. She fed me and took care of me while on bedrest with Matthew. It's funny when her kids were excited that their cousins (us) had come to visit again. That's what it takes to be a cousin...someone you see about once a year. It fit our family pretty well and I'd take them as added cousins for my kids any day! One of the last nights there we had a bbq with Daphne Thompsen and her family. I really enjoyed seeing and spending time with so many of the people who were such a big influence in who I am today.

1 comment:

dlkenney said...

Thanks for fitting us into your busy vacation it was good to see you and your kids