The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Epic Haboob


Doesn't it look like the Apocalypse? I think it does! Unfortunately this is what it looked like near my house last night.

So here in Arizona we don't have storms and such like most people around the world. We don't get hit with snow storms and such in the winter. It seems most of the year like we live in perfect blissful weather...which for the most part we do. But we have here what's called Monsoon season. I know, when we first moved here and heard about monsoons in the desert I was very skeptical. But we do get them. Our crazy weather time is the summer. We have insane heat in the summer and come August typically we have monsoons. It's a strange thing. It will still be incredibly hot during the day, well over 110, but come that evening a monsoon sweeps in, trees are blown over, tons of rain, then hot clear and sunny the next morning. Just for it to repeat in the evening again. But this year, since we aren't at the point where there is the moisture to go with the storm there was what is called a Haboob. n. A penetrating sandstorm or dust storm with violent winds, occurring chiefly in Arabia, North Africa, and India. Well, we live in the strange state of Arizona where we get things like Monsoons and Haboobs.

Last night we got an epic one! Winds of between 50-59 mph, 50 miles long and over a mile high at some points. This hit since there was no rain to go with the winds to create a monsoon, instead we get some seriously intense sand. John was at work. I wouldn't let him leave to come home even though the power was out there. It just wasn't safe to be on the road until it passed.

Some of the craziness is watching it come across in a matter of minutes. If you didn't have the camera ready you weren't going to get pictures it came on through so fast. I didn't even try to get the camera out. I was about keeping my kids inside and un-scared. But thanks to all the wonderful people out there who did brave the craziness I can show you a few pictures from last nights storm. It was just super crazy! The picture before this one and after are from les than a mile from my home.


For the aftermath the next day, dust everywhere! Car issues and breathing issues from dust getting in places it shouldn't be. It will be a good week before the pools are clean and ready. One of the ladies at John's work at a scratch on her eye from the dust when she drove home in the storm. But we are all safe, just not clean.


I'm not the best at things but hopefully you can watch either of these videos. They both show quite well how fast this thing moved in. Seriously it was just crazy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikxnuifN_MY&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3jOXJHxYDo&feature=share

1 comment:

Brooke Romney said...

Crazy and cool. You got some awesome photos.