The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Should I quit?

Okay so I've been told lately from a lot of different people that I should quit this or that in my life, but each time I look at all the things I should quit I can't see how I can.

Quit soccer board...prayed about doing it felt good, boys play soccer for cheaper to free depending on what level they play, feel it's a huge blessing to my boys and I love so many of the people I work with there. It fulfills me in such a different way than being a mom. I can be a part of change and making things work. It's not something I redo again and again and again in a day/week like the jobs of being a mom. It's not to say that it hasn't been a challenge in other ways, it has at times taken me away from my family, even if I enjoy it it's still away. I try to make it work for the kids to go with me at times one on one and such. I don't want to quit.

Quit bountiful baskets...I know it's time early in the morning on Saturdays, at times making it difficult to do other things, but for the time I spend there we get our basket free. Without bountiful baskets I wouldn't be eating salads every day for lunch and trying to be healthier and having my kids eat a piece of fruit every day for lunch...I just wouldn't be able to afford it.

Quit my calling...or to put it in different terms, asked to be released from my calling. I like my calling. It's work and at times it's stressful or frustrating but I do enjoy it. I like seeing my work that I put into something be enjoyed by the women around me that I care about. I like serving them in this way. I do have a hard time with decisions and creativity lately but there are others who are helping me right now. I like what I do so how do I walk away?

Quit the time I spend canning...we can't afford for me to not do all I do in canning and food preservation. We live off what I do, and when we do it super cheap how do I stop doing it? I know it takes lots of time though and at times its consuming of just my house and time. But, how do I stop?

Quit doing photos...along with do more with it. I don't know on this one in my life. I enjoy taking pictures and part of me really wants to take it to the next step so I can afford the better camera, lenses, and software...but can I make a go of it? If I do will I still like taking pictures? When I'm encouraged to quit so many things how do I look at taking something more on?

Quit book club...does that mean quit reading so much? I never intended to join book club actually. There things about it I really like. There are some very interesting discussions. I am glad that I've done it for the last year or so. But I have found some things as I look back over the last year of book club, first due to subject matter, length of book, emotional state I was in, other things taking up too much of my time, etc, I have read less than half the books. Of the books I didn't read, I never felt like I missed something by not reading them. Most of them I started and part way into it I just didn't feel like I could finish it for one reason or another. I did learn that amazing lesson, I can put a book down if I don't like it, I don't have to finish it just because I started it. Not to say they were bad, just that my life would not have been greatly altered for the good just because I read the book. Of the ones I did read, only 2 books in the last 12 months did I really like. That's not very good odds. Why do I feel so compelled to read a book just because someone else likes it. Why do I feel like just because my books aren't as deep or filled with as much controversy they are bad? I'm not saying those are bad, they just aren't right for me and I finally am okay with that. The books I read are clean and they uplift me and I feel happy and good when I finish them. They also work for me in a way that they are shorter so I can get a short escape to read and not have it ruin my home and life. So yes, I am going to quit book club.

Quit scrapping....well that's just blasphemy!!! How could someone even speak those words? Okay, so it's expensive and time consuming, but it is my favorite thing to do so NO WAY is that going to be quit! I love to scrapbook. It just makes me feel so good and happy and it's just not going away. I'm not willing to delve into that one at this point in my life!

Quit housework...okay so that one is just one that runs through my head every day. Just quit and do what I want to do and just enjoy my time for me and don't worry about the rest, but how can I do that? Okay so there is NO way I can do that but part of me really dreams about it. I may not love to work around my house..but even in the scriptures we are taught to work. Work is a part of who we are and what we should do. I need to do this not just so my house is clean but so I work and care about my home and treat it as such and teach my kids to do the same.

So, I guess my answer is NO. I can't/won't quit my life. I really love my life. It has really been hard to do this kind of life with the health issues I've been having but "this too will pass" I have to just hold on to the thought that my creativity, drive, and decision making skills will come back and I can do what I love to do so much easier. I love to be busy, because otherwise I'll just sit and read. And though reading is good and I enjoy doing it, to do it all day is not what is the best thing for my family...it's not even the best thing for me. I need so many of those things for what they bring to me and my family and those around me that I care about.

I don't know if this post makes any sense. I'm not going to go back and edit it or anything like that. I just am putting my thoughts out there at how/why I do what I do. I am glad to have people around me who care about me and want whats best for me. I do know there are times and things that we at times need to stop doing and change in our lives. Even through this evaluation I've done there are things I have decided to quit. Others that I haven't. I know that for me, if I'm busy and keep myself that way I will be happier and a better mom in the ways I feel are important to me. This isn't to judge anyone else or to make anyone feel bad about choices they feel are best for their life, this is just an evaluation for my life.

5 comments:

Leefamlee Treasures said...

No don't quit, just take a deep breath and enjoy life! Its so important for our children to see mom work hard, serve others and do the things they enjoy. It helps them to learn how to live their lives. You are a great example to all! Hang in there - this two passes way tooooo fast! XOXO

Sariah said...

You do what you can do when you can do it and to the best of your ability. :)

We will miss you in book club (because you really do contribute to the discussion SO MUCH), but I know that if it sounds interesting enough to you or you just need an hour or two out of the house you'll join us every once in a while. :) No worries.

Stacey said...

We all need to take stock every once in a while and make sure the things we fill our time with are really the things we need/want most. Funny how it's different for everyone. I dropped scrapbooking like a hot potato when my life got too crazy, but I would go insane without book club. :-)

Ivy said...

You are amazing Kim! I think that if you really couldn't do it all, you wouldn't. It's still good to take inventory every so often, just to make sure everything is running smoothly and you are where you want/need to be.

Deep breaths, and keep moving forward! You inspire me so often :) I'm so glad I've reconnected with you!

Nicole said...

These things are what makes you you. You who we all love & respect as well as your family. DO NOT quit. Some of those things are what gets you through the harder days. Enjoy each of them as long as you can.