Since I was a kid a tradition my mom started was that we didn't go out on dates and such for Valentines Day. We stayed home and had a great red/pink/heart type dinner and spent it with the ones we love. So that is something I loved as a teenager since I never had a boyfriend at Valentines, any prospects always seemed to disappear at Valentines, or Christmas. I remember my dad giving each of us kids a box of chocolates (probably bought by mom and given to us from dad...she is selfless that way) or a helium balloon, a flower for each of us, or other such "treat" just special from dad to each of us. Mom would decorate the house with red/pink/hearts. Table would be done really nice. The meal would vary year to year but it typically had some sort of heart shaped dinner like a "pampered chef filled roll thing" in a heart shape, or heart pizza, or something really red like spaghetti. All the sides and such you could think of would either be red/pink or heart shaped, red jello jigglers cut in heart shapes, those sorts of things. Then we'd give each other a Valentine. I loved those days!
This was something that we have continued through our married life. We have a family dinner at home for Valentine's Day. We go to the temple sometime the week before/after unless pregnancy did not allow, and dinner that night the two of us. But on the actual day we stay home and celebrate as a family.
I get the downstairs cleaned up. The table gets decorated in pink/red and we have heart shaped pizza or spaghetti or other such things. I love it, the kids look forward to it, and John loves me enough to deal with it. (He does love that I don't put pressure on the date/gift type thing of Valentines...maybe that's why he puts up with it.) Anyway, tonight we are having red koolaid, spaghetti and meatballs, sugar cookies for desert. (Forgot to buy the jello to make it..oh well) We also had pink pancakes loosely shaped like a pancake this morning.
As for gifts, John bought each of the kids an LDS Book to enjoy. As a side note, I love the idea of books as a gift, it changes the thought of "required/have to" to "neat and new can't wait to". As for John I loved him enough to not get him anything for the holiday...just what he asked for and wanted.
For me, well he got me a photoshop class. I'm more excited than words can say!!! Does that man know me or what?? He also went out and got me a pearl bracelet that says "I am Loved" on a heart charm on it. I can't imagine the money he spent...okay, okay I'll be honest. Part of why I love it so much is how much he spent on it!!! It really is cute and fun. But Helzberg Diamonds sent him a card in the mail to come and check out what they had for Valentines and you could get a free bracelet just for coming and seeing. So he went, he saw and he only got me the free bracelet! I love him!!!
I really want to do another post of all the things I love about each member of my family, but that didn't happen yet, I still have to finish the Valentine's cards and then finish the sugar cookies for desert and play some games with my kids.
So enjoy the day of love with those you love!
2 comments:
I just took a photoshop class and have been busy trying to make my pictures better. The only bad thing is that now not only do I spend hours scrapping a layout, but I spend hours editing my photos to get them to look their best. :D The good thing about it is that I have been able to use pictures that would have been useless otherwise...shaded outdoors without a flash, things like that. I think you'll really love what you learn in that class!
love the traditions!
Post a Comment