The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Homework for kids or parents???

I have to say I am REALLY tired of these homework assignments my kids get all too often. These are assignments that are projects the kids are supposed to do, yet they require many things for the parents to do. I have to say these are frustrating for me. Seriously, I've got 4 kids, if they all get assignments like this and then the oldest is a middle schooler so he gets these assignments from multiple teachers all due at the same time or overlapping. This has been a few of the assignments my kids have had in the last few weeks. I have put child and grade as I find it interesting. I know all kids have lots of projects and things to do but these can get exhausting and hard to work in around dinner and other things when you are helping do multiple ones of these:

Matthew 6th--build a 3-D model of a cell labeling all parts of the cell
Rachel 2nd--write a copy of your favorite family recipe and a history of the person who gave you the recipe and a picture of the person either photograph or drawn.
Harrison4th--write a Newspaper article using spelling words. "The annual shape talent show was held last Thursday. In attendance were: cube, pyramid, triangular prism, rectangular prism and the five time in a row winner dodecahedron.
The cube took medicine from an apothecary and performed a science experiment. The pyramid did a ballet routine with a triple pirouette. The triangular prism was modeled in the center of the stage and was luminous. The rectangular prism was maliciously mincing at some carrots. The jovial dodecahedron counted to infinity. The audience was happy with the ambition of the contestants. They were over wrought and anxious for the results.
The dodecahedron was announced the winner. The other contestants were peevish and wistful of a win for themselves.
Matthew 6th--make yourself into a life sized wax museum statue of an egyptian god who you have researched and written a paper on.
Harrison 4th--multiple powerpoint presentations
Matthew 6th--for his consumer math class, he has to do a powerpoint with information about a job he has researched and chosen for himself knowing how much he makes, buy himeself a vehicle setting up a loan for himself, buy himself, again setting up a loan for himself. Then know distance between home and work, and gas milage and size of tank on car to figure out his expenses.

There are many more but those are the ones that jump out to me first.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

I have told Daryl when I am pregnant I wish for healthy smart children. I have since learned that smart children are a curse. It looks like you've got it worse than I do. Enjoy when they all go through law school and med school and buy you expensive presents you can say "remember that egyptian god we had to make a costume of"...

brooke romney said...

The good news? You are GREAT at it!