One of the things I did this summer with my kids is a summer olympics. It was quite a bit of work to set up. I did it with a couple friends of mine and their kids. We set up folders with eight catagories...Academic, Spiritual, Physical, Life Prep, Family, Creative, Personal, and Home. As they did different things in each catagory it would earn them points. We totaled all their points for the summer and depending on how many points they earned, how hard they worked on being a better person this summer they could get a Gold, Silver, or Bronze.
As an example, in Academic for every 20 min they read they'd get 40pts, Spiritual, for signing off something in Faith in God Book they'd get 90 points, Physical--Take a shower is 30 points, Life Prep--Room clean at the end of night is 80 points, Family--Help a sibling with a job 20 points, fight with a sibling is -10 points, Creative--do a science Experiment is 120 points, Personal--get out of bed and dressed with clean underwear by 8am is 20 points, Home--mow or trim the yard 100 points.
One of the things we did to help get them excited about doing this is we had a FHE where we did an opening ceremonies, they each said the oath of an athlete and brought in the torch (a flashlight).
Then tonight we did an final closing ceremonies, the appropriate flags and ending remarks and had each child stand on the podium in front of everyone and have their medal put on them while their mom said what a good kid they are. I think it was a lot of fun for the kids, and a different way to work on motivating my children. At our house for a gold they are getting a big toy (10-20 value), a silver is a med sized toy(5-10 value) and a bronze would have gotten a dollar store toy. Below is what each kid got! What a great bunch of kids I have!!!
Matthew: Academic-2130, spiritual-1340, physical-1920, life prep-2900, family-1100, creative-1150, personal-1480, home-2220, bringing a final total of 14,240 points and a Gold! You outdid yourself Matthew!
Harrison: Academic-2090, spiritual-1580, physical-1540, life prep-2920, family 410, creative-1670, personal-1410, home-1340, bringing a final total of 12,960 points and a Gold! Awesome job Harrison!
Rachel: Academic-1140, spiritual-880, physical-1130, life prep-2250, family-330, creative-960, personal-1140, home-870, making a final total for her of 8700 points and bringing in a Silver! Go Rachel!
4 comments:
What a great idea!! I LOVE it. Cute mom idea. I will have to remember this when my kids are a bit older. Very cool & the kids look so grown up, I miss those cuties!!
What great kids you have!
I'm so glad the idea worked so well! I'll have to do that in a few years too. We're coming home soon!!!
I like this idea, you will have to send me a the little point break downs for each category and maybe I could start up something like this in our little group of neighbors.
Post a Comment