The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Thursday, April 17, 2008

And the Mom of the year award goes to.....Me!

Yep, I have officially clinched the award! Last week Harrison, the trickster loves to jump off the swings once he gets them going as high as he can, well one jump was not quite as successful as the rest. Once the swing was at the highest point instead of jumping he slid off the swing backwards landing on his shoulder, neck, face kind of area. I looked him over only a couple of scratches and told him to be tough and go to soccer practice or his dad would ban swings forever. (That was already something John wanted to do "for" the kids. Anyway, he toughed it out and went to soccer. He then while "a little sore" played his soccer game on Saturday. He was favoring his shoulder but at first I just thought it was a kink in the neck. When I watched him more though, I could see that he could move his neck fine and stuff. So when I'd tell him to do something like unload the dishwasher and he'd complain how he couldn't cause it hurt so bad. I told him to tough it up I'd seen him moving his neck all over so the kink in his neck was getting better and he just needed to start using his arm. Finally Wed morning it all came to a head becuase he still was refusing to use that arm much. I threatened to take him to the doctors and decided to go through with it. The doctor would support me and tell him he needed to start using his shoulder and not favor it or else the muscle pain would never go away. So armed with my knowledge of medicine, you know how much schooling you must have to be a mom. Anyway, I pulled him out of school for a short doctors appointment to prove my point. Well, three hours, a doctors appointment, an x-ray, and a sling later, I was eating crow! Harrison has a hairline fracture in his collarbone and he has to keep his arm as imobile as possible for the next 4-6 weeks. So since they can't cast it, the collarbone is one where you wear a sling and just do your best to immobolize on your own. UGH! So, we took some time yesterday to find a cool iron on patch and some fleece material to help make the sling more comfortable and much cooler for a boy. You'd think he'd seen the show Pirates of the Carribean by the way he loves the stuff from the show. We armed him with a sharpie since he wanted to have family and friends sign his "cast". Hopefully it helps him deal with the inconvience better. Oh, did I mention it's on his right arm? UGH! So after the fiasco's the first of the month, and we add this great mom moment there is no one who can deny the honor I have earned of mom of the year! Anyone who would like to send congradulatory gifts for the great honor, send them to "Mom of the Year" C/O Kim Nevels the proud winner!
Now it was mentioned that after explaining all this I needed to give my speech. I'd like to thank first off my mom, who taught me how to "know it all". I'd like to thank my brother and sisters for always giving me the opportunity to show I "know it all" I'd like to thank my friends who support me even when I "know it all". I'd like to thank my husband for not saying I told you so too much when I "know it all" and most importantly I'd like to thank my kids who I couldn't have gotten this great honor without all their moments to make me so proud! So thanks to those who have helped me to get where I am.

11 comments:

Kirk and Aly said...

Oh Kim, we all feel like this sometimes! I can't remember who, but one of the brethren told a story of how prayer helped him when he was lost in an abandoned mine shaft.
My point is, I think they probably had pretty terrific mothers---and they were out exploring dangerous mine shafts.
You're a great mom!! Just look at your great kids to prove it!

Grandma Rozla said...

Don't be so hard on yourself Kim! We all have had those MOM moments. The great thing is that our kids love us INSPITE of it all and they are so quick to forgive and think we are the greatest no matter what :) So smile and have a great day!

jenn said...

Been there too! Brenna broke her collarbone about a year ago (see my blog, February/March 2007) and we didn't take her to the doctor right away either. I felt HORRIBLE that we'd waited. Kids recover quickly though, so hopefully he'll be ready to go again soon!

jes said...

you are a great mom,the fact that you are eating crow publicly too the rest of us moms that have had similar experiences proves it. if we share we gain knowledge and we also help each other by sharing these experiences. thanks kim

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

I don't think these qualify you for "mom of the year"... they just mean that you are human! Poor Harrison though... if you're going to break a bone, this isn't the one you want to break! Tell Harrison to bring his sharpie to church on Sunday so I can sign his cast =)

Dani said...

This is just one of those things that you look back on and laugh - thankful that it wasn't any worse that it was. I read the official rules for the "award" and you missed it by a few requirements. ;] LOL

Kelley said...

Well!! Someone needs to give you the MOTHER OF THE YEAR AWARD. I vote for you!! We all take our turns winning. We all have great stories to tell! I have to say I enjoyed reading about it all -- mostly because as time passes, we realize that we have all been there, done that. And, our kids survived us!! You really are a great mom and I appreciate how you take care of John and the grandchildren. Sooo, MOM of the Year, Take your bows!! This will definitely be one of the subjects when the "remember when" discussions come up! I love you.
Mom Nevels

Anonymous said...

Oh don't you love mom moments like these, they say kids are resilient (?) I sure hope so or else my kids will be some seriously messed up adults!!

dlkenney said...

I understand your feeling with everything that is going on right now, I feel sorry for my older two. I feel like I am neglecting them while I am running the other two to and from their appointments. I just hope they understand and remember all the time I have spent with them in the past. I will probably make it up with these book reports that we are working on now. Keep up the good work. I bet you if you talk to John's mom he broke one or two bones himself. So you are not alone.

Kim said...

Daphne, No he never broke a bone in his body, he did however throw his brother off the loft and broke his brothers arm. Does that count?

brooke romney said...

Sooooo glad you blogged this. Definately mom of the year.