Radiation is much better than chemo. I am handling things well I think. But like any treatment there are some downsides. I fatigue so easy. I sleep more hours of the day/night that is reasonable. And when I'm not sleeping I'm laying down resting. I have learned to choose wisely the use of my limited energy and mostly it is used to take care of the needs of my kids that can only reasonably be done by myself or towards baking which brings in money to pay for the treatments. So far we have been very blessed to be able to pay for all treatments without any debt. I pray that that will continue till the end of the treatments. The actual treatments are not painful but they are difficult for me. I have to lay completely still under a mold for about 30 min while they line up the beams. Then it's just a "short" zap and I'm done until the next day. It's the laying still for so long that is hard. I have had some embarrassing experiences going through this. Sneezing into two peoples faces was not a high light for me. But I have survived to face them again.
The other big issue with this course of treatment is my White Blood Count. They have talked all along about a suppressed immune system. But it wasn't until this last blood test that came back at a WBC of 2.1 that really freaked us out. I now am supposed to wear a mask at all times. I do it much more than I ever thought I would be able to but it's still not as much as I should. Being claustrophobic this is incredibly difficult for me. But we are hanging in there. They hope to build my wbc quickly in 3 weeks when treatments are over. Then my body will get to rest for a bit. Then mid December I will go in and have the spot removed. They will test everything again at that point to confirm that everything is gone and I'm cancer free. I look forward to that day. I also look forward to not wearing the mask and having enough energy to sit at the computer instead of just lay on a chair/couch/bed all day. I will include a few things that I posted on facebook as I went through things for your own enjoyment.
I love that I can convince my 15 year old son to do my grocery shopping while I sit in the car by telling him it's an important life skill.
Just physically and emotionally hit a wall today. We all do at times in the midst of a trial. I know this will pass. At my radiation apt I was getting set. Then sneezed a huge nothing to cover my mouth sneeze right into the face of my nurse. She freaked out a little. (Do you blame her). Dr comes out from the computer to help and I let loose with 3 more sneezes in a row on him. He took it in stride and laughed it off but I fell apart and bawled. Never did get my treatment so I get to add an extra apt on Friday to this week.
The new look I'm sporting. Does the claustrophobic me like it? No. But I am going to embrace it instead of be embarrassed about it. There is no more hiding what is going on. I will not die of cancer. But I will wear this so I won't die of pneumonia. So putting here is my attempt to face this head on. So whose thinking I should be a dr for Halloween?

"Are you a doctor?" Asked a kid at school pick up
"No, but I kind of look like one huh"
"If you aren't a doctor do you paint houses?"
"No I just need to keep germs away so I wear this."
As I walk by this kid again his friend says to him. "See she's not a Mexican so she has to recall be a doctor not a painter". To say I was speechless is an understatement!
Also theme song for us is "Radioactive". After telling about my treatment so many times one thing I say over and over again is this treatment is good in that I am never radioactive. At that point the song pops into my head everytime and I want to break out in song.
1 comment:
Lots of prayers for you and your family ... You have wonderful husband and children and with their help all of you will survive
Post a Comment