The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Matthew's injury to his face...don't look if you are squeemish

Okay so I need to make note of this lovely event in our summer.  I will put all the story up here by the first picture of him post stitches removal.  Then if you want to see the grossness that was his injury you are welcome to look but I am not offended if you don't as it's not pretty.  Luckily the pictures don't do justice for the injury.  So Matthew had been sick in the night with stomach issues.  I had tons of places to be at the same time that day so I took Rachel and we ran to target to get him some sprite and stuff as well as a present for a birthday party that Ellie was supposed to be leaving for in minutes.  While in the check out line I get a call from Harrison.  Matthew passed out and we think he broke his nose.  Blood is everywhere.  We checked out and ran home to take care of things.  I will stop the story here and start again from the people at home's point of view.  Matthew had been sick.  Mom and Rachel left to run to the store.  Harrison was upstairs getting ready to go play soccer with a friend.  Ellie was playing.  Matthew was bummed he was to sick to play soccer.  The door bell rings and Matthew answers the door to their friend Tate.  Tate walks in the house, Matthew turns to close the door and passes out.  Tate turns to help.  Matthew's face is in the little garbage can between the front door and the desk.  Matthew starts to come to.  As he pulls his head up there is blood everywhere.  Ellie is screaming to Harrison to come help.  Harrison comes down sees the mess and calls me.  Tate helps Matthew to the bathroom.  Towels of blood soaked up from his face.  While he is in the bathroom the boys start cleaning up all the blood. Okay, so I come home.  Matthew is in the bathroom with blood going everywhere.  Tate is mopping up the blood at the tile in the front room.  Ellie is cleaning up the blood in the kitchen.  I take Matthew and leave the rest to figure it out.  While I'm gone the kids get Ellie off to her party, Rachel off to where she is supposed to go, clean up all the blood everywhere and go play ball.  They are a great bunch I should mention here. 

Then we go to hospital not knowing how bad it is.  They do x-rays and we see a dr.  Nose is not broken.  PA comes in talking about stitching it up but John has called and asked me not to let them stitch it.  I'm super bugged.  Why pay for hospital if you aren't going to let them fix it. But we wait.  He comes in and talks to dr (who he knows come to find out)  Night before I had been out and a friend comes by and stops in for a minute and talks to John while she waits to have her sons face stiched up by her bishop who is a maxillofacial plastic surgeon.  When all this happens with Matthew John thought back to the night before and felt strongly that we should see if he could stitch matthew up. John was able to get him in that afternoon and be there with him while he was stitched up.  They never found a reason for the passing out other than dehydration and standing up too fast.  They did find on his EKG that he still has a child's heart rate and it should be an adults now but that is just something we are going to watch.  Once we reached the point of the face being stitched up it was now late in the afternoon so I left John and Matthew to take care of it and went back to take care of the rest of the kids. 

While in there about to numb Matthew he started to freak out.  He asked them to give him a blessing.  What an incredible setting to be in to be able to just stop what you are doing and the doctor and your dad give you a blessing then continue on with the stitching of the face.  The cut was very deep.  It went about 2 cm up his nose, about an inch out his cheek and 2+ cm deep.  It took over 30 stitches with all the layers of stitches they had to do.   Basically he fish hooked his nose on the corner of the desk as he fell.  As long as he would lay still it would be fine but as he would talk to us and such his nose would flap open.  So beyond gross! 

But many hundreds of dollars and a week later and the top picture is the result.  I am just grateful for all the people who stepped in and did what they did to help us through that very difficult day.














No comments: