The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Monday, June 3, 2013

Interview with Grandpa


For the Genealogy Merit Badge, I had to interview Grandpa Gary Nevels. It was actually pretty interesting.

Me: Ok Grandpa, first question: How did your parents meet?

Grandpa: Well my mother was working at Scott Air force Base, and my father was in the Air force, stationed at SAFB, and they met at the base.

Me: Ok. Tell me about your childhood home, what was it like?

Grandpa: I never really had one childhood home. We moved and lived all over the place. At one point, my dad was stationed in Panama, so I lived there for a while too.

Me: That’s a cool experience; I wish that I could have been able to live out of the country for a while. Ok, how did your family celebrate holidays?

Grandpa: The only holidays we really celebrated, were Christmas, and Easter. All other holidays were just days off school, and we all helped with the farm.

Me: How did you meet Grandma?

Grandpa: I was in the navy, stationed in Idaho Falls, and one of my friends invited me for a thanksgiving dinner I think it was. He also invited Kelley’s friend, who also invited Kelley, and that is how I met her.

Me: Tell me about your wedding day, what was it like?

Grandpa: We first got married in the 14th ward church building in Idaho Falls by Bishop Mason. We did that, because I was such a new convert, that I wasn’t ordained to the office of elder, and couldn’t get married in the temple. As soon as I was able to, we got married in the Provo Temple.

Me: So you got married [to grandma] twice?

Grandpa: Yup, I got married twice

Me: Ok. Tell me about when your fist child, John, my dad, was born.

Grandpa: He was born September 1, 1973, in a Primary Childrens Hospital, close to the Idaho Falls Temple. He was a cute Blondie.

Me: What was your favorite school subject(s)?

Grandpa: In Elementary School, my favorites were Math, Science, and Writing. In High School, my favorites were Algebra, Geometry, Physics, Photography, and Drafting.

Me: Interesting. Of those classes, who was your favorite teacher(s)?

Grandpa: My favorite teacher was a man named Millard Secora. He taught my Chemistry, Biology, and Photography. He was a great guy.

Me: Who were some of your best friends?

Grandpa: My best friend in Elementary school was Richard Hettlman. My best frien in High school was Richard Carney.

Me: Descibe your first job.

Grandpa: In the 7th grade, I went and lived my uncle, and worked on his farm. He paid me a calf. I raised the calf, until it had calfs, and then I raised those too.

Me: What did you do with your first paycheck?

Grandpa: Well, the first job that I had that I got paid money, I was hired to shovel bales of hay. I had two people under me, and had to pay them too. I got paid 10₵ a bale, and paid the workers under me each 2₵ a bale, so I only ended up with 6₵. I saved up my money, and I bought myself my first car. I bought a ’57 Chevy Black and White Bel Air Hardtop.

Me: Well that’s a bit ironic, gets paid 6₵ a bale, but buys a car…

Grandpa: Yeah, I had to save my money for a while…

Me: What was your favorite job?

Grandpa: Probably workin on the farm with my uncle

Me: Sounds like a lot of work to me…

Grandpa: It was a lot, but it was fun.

Me: Who were some of your heroes?

Grandpa: I looked up to some Presidents: Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln. When I was converted, and became a member of the church, I looked up to the Prophets, and the Ppostles

Me: Speaking of Presidents, do you remember where were you when you heard that president Kennedy was shot?

Grandpa: I remember quite clearly actually: I was riding the bus home form school in the 7th grade, and it came on on the radio. We were all shocked.

Me: What is your favorite song?

Grandpa: Probably Called to Serve

Me: What are your favorite book(s)?

Grandpa: Probably the Book of Mormon

Me: What is your favorite movie?

Grandpa: Oooh that’s a hard one. Im gonna have to go with The Hunt for Red October.

Me: What are your favorite TV shows?

Grandpa: When I was a kid, I would always watch the Rifleman, The Lone Ranger, and Bonanza. The show I watch the most right now is probably NCIS. Its pretty interesting.

Me: Well that’s all the questions I have. I hope to see you soon Grandpa!

No comments: