The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Sunday, June 30, 2013

A little reminiscing...a little life bettering


My Uncle Doug posted these pictures on facebook and I had to take a copy for myself.  There are a few people in these pictures that I would like to point out and have a memory of.  First is the bride and groom my uncle doug and aunt Annie.  I remember when Doug added Annie to the family.  Such a wonderful addition.  Uncle Doug was won of my favorite uncles.  He was always such a rock for me through the years.  He had adorable kids with so many fun memories as kids.  We lived at zoo so many times.  Once my cousin Jimmy and I were walking through the zoo past the giraffe's.  One leaned down and slurped Jimmy's sandwich right out of his arm with it's long purple tongue.  Those are the kind of memories I have. 
The next set of memories are with my grandma and grandpa Colby.  Their house with the long driveway and huge tree is a place I remember many a family party.  Us kids hanging out under the tree.  All the walnuts crunching on the driveway.  Not to mention the super cool basement with the extra kitchen.  I mean, I couldn't believe they could have a whole extra kitchen with an extra entrance that no one ever used.  We would play cards and games for hours there.  Christmas parties were huge there where my dad would visit as Santa.  Though I will never forget the Christmas that to throw us all off my dad got my skinny uncle (don't remember if it was doug or Curtis) but one of them dressed as santa just to make it all fun.  Grandpa always had a huge garden we could sneak into and get fresh peas to eat.  And in their cute tiny kitchen so much food was made.  Though as kids we always ate in the lower family room while the grownups ate in the dining room.  And then there was my favorite, grandmas red velvet room.  I thought it was the most luxurious room ever.  They are all such little things but they are some of the fond memories of my childhood.
Last but far from least in my dad, Harold, my step mom Jeannine, and my sister Amy.  I didn't grow up with them.  I don't have the close relationship we all hope to have with our family.  But I still know when the going gets really tough we are there for each other.  At least I hope that's the way they feel towards me.  I know I could have done so many thing better growing up and as an adult.  I know I don't have the relationship I want because I'm not as good as I'd like myself to me.  I try to be a better person, a person that all my family who have passed on before me can be proud of but I know I fall short and just have to pick up and try again.  My dad was sick for a really long time.  He spent most of my married life sick.  He passed away while I was on bedrest with Ellie so I didn't even make it to the funeral.  I know he understood, I know my step mom understood.  I hope my sisters understood.  But now, as we all face our mortality in another way, I hope I can find ways to be a better sister and daughter than I was back then.  I hope I can be a better example to my children of loving unconditionally.  I pray constantly for my sisters and my step mom.  She is really sick.  We are really scared.  Cancer is not a pretty word.  But I try to look at these people in this picture who are my family, and try to think of my ancestors who have passed on before them.  And I try to find the very best quality and memory from each to help guide me in how I deal with what is placed before me in this life.  I have learned so many things from so many people in my life.  I pray that I can be the kind of person that others look back when I have passed from this life and have fond memories of, and know me, better than I know some of the people that I should know so well. 

No comments: