I really hate to invite conflict in my life. I have enough, why give an invitation ? But....
Yep, there's always that but in life right? Okay, so here it goes. The only thing I ask, is really this is just to put my confused thoughts out there not to insite a heated discussion. I'm telling you now I won't participate in a heated discussion over the issues. I don't want the contention in my life I would feel. Feel free not to leave a comment if there is any question of what you might say. You are also welcome to leave a comment, but understand if I pretend like I never read it. Sometimes denial is still easier in my life. Okay, here it goes.
I hate politics for all these reasons, I always feel contention even from those who would vote and do things the same way as me. Their passion typically leaves me feeling uncomfortable. I don't like to talk about controversial things for those reasons. I don't want to offend somene or loose a friend yet I don't want to be untrue to myself and my beliefs.
I have been struggling with this for a few months. I have a really good friend who politically and religiously are about as opposite as can be from me. I love this woman. I love to spend time with her. But I never know what to say when certain subjects come up. They don't come up very often and I'm careful to avoid the subject. But sometimes subjects come up and I never know what to do an say. I know what I believe. For me, a religious answer of I believe it is enough for me. I know it's not for her. That's okay. Yet I don't know what to say to the, "If you could give me another reason besides God said so, I could believe what you say." The problem is, I can't. I understand her frustrations with the issues. I understand, the objections of why it's "not right" all of that. But for me, it doens't matter. What is this great subject I speak about? Marriage between a man and a woman. The whole, someone is gay and gay is not a choice. I stuggle with all of that as I believe that though you may feel something for someone, it is a choice whether to act on it or not. That is my only thing.
I believe with all my heart that God said Marriage should just be between a man and a woman, I believe with all my heart that sexual relations should not take place out of marriage. For me it doesn't really leave much wiggle room. But I know everything is not cut and dry for most people. But for me that is enough. But I don't know how to explain to someone that for me that is enough. I believe that a woman who never marries should lead a celibate life no matter who she is attracted to and same goes for the man. This is my personal belief. So all that being said, and after having struggled with this for a while. I decided for now to just avoid the subject and hope it doens't come up for a while. I was doing fine until yesterday.
Yesterday, through facebook a blog post was shared of a high school friend. I judged this person in high school and then never thought of him again, until yesterday. I sat down and read the article. I have attached the link here. It took me until today to finish it, it was so much to take in. It's long, but in my opinion worth the read. It gave me a new outlook on the whole situation. There is one thing he says in his blog post that really hit me.
"Sin is in action, not in temptation or attraction. I feel this is a very
important distinction. This is true for every single person. You don’t get to
choose your circumstances, but you do get to choose what you do with them. "
http://www.joshweed.com/2012/06/club-unicorn-in-which-i-come-out-of.html
But, however you look at things and think about things, whatever you think or feel I'm not judging. Or at least trying not to. I'm not perfect after all. But just as a friend and human, I found this very informative, well written and inspiring. If you aren't interested, like myself most of the time...in fact, had it not been that I went to high school with guy I would have just ignored the post. But curiosity got the better of me...and I'm glad it did. I'm better for having looked at his life through his eyes. But, I choose to share it here where I can explain why I'm choosing to share and know that those who read this love me and respect me. So I don't have to be a part of heated discussions I'd rather not be a part of.
But either way, I will post a normal, what's going on in my life post that's long over due tomorrow so you can all ignore this if you would like.
1 comment:
i agree, people want proof of everything instead of relying on faith. too many people never learned what faith is though, so how could they understand? the world only makes it harder for good people trying to make sense of temptations when society fights so hard to force all to embrace too many sins.
Post a Comment