Just to document and give a quick update in our life. There will be TONS of posts coming over the next few days. But, though it may be out of order I wanted to talk about our family and injuries. Last week Matthew did his current crazy routine of 2 YM softball games followed by soccer practice. John took him that week. I was exhausted recovering from some big things going on around us. I did a massive wedding cake the week before. Then followed it up with a baby shower I threw and a cupcake tower. Then I ended up on a field trip downtown with Rachel (separate posts on all those things). So needless to say, I went straight to bed that night and was out before they got home from soccer practice. The next morning Matthew was getting ready for school and kept complaining about how bad his head hurt. He gets migraines so I just asked him if he had taken anything for it and didn't think much about it. He knows if the migraine is bad what to do and knows I will support him missing school or anything else he needs. But he continued to get ready. Then as we are dropping the kids off at school he told me he also was feeling like he was going to throw up and the world was dizzy. A bad migraine can cause these but I said I felt he should stay home since they would likely just call me to come back and get him anyway if they persisted much.
As we were driving home he excitedly said to me, "Did dad tell you about the ball I took to the face last night?"
Ummm, what??? He proceeded to explain how a boy was clearing the ball from one end of the field to the other and he was a few feet away, (5-10 depending on who's telling the story) and stopped it with his face. I honestly am shocked it didnt' break his nose! Well this puts a completely different spin on the symptoms he spoke to me about. So we called the Dr and had it confirmed that he had a concussion. Not much to do with a concussion but wait it out. His what he could/couldn't do list was a bit ridiculous. He couldn't watch tv, read, play video games, do homework, chores, ride bike or skateboard or rip stick, no sports, no rough housing, nothing that would increase his heartrate, increase his adrenalin, or cause him to think. His could do list was drink lots of fluids, rest lots, listen to quiet music. Well after 5 days of this he was about to go crazy. But things just weren't getting better. The good news was that things weren't getting worse. We just hold onto that. After no improvement on day 6 we went to the dr again. This time they ordered a ct scan to check for a subderal hematoma. After 96 hours he shouldn't be wobbly like he still was/is. The nausea has gone away, the headache is now just a constant throb which he can deal with, and the wobblyness comes and goes. They finally released him back to school. He still is not allowed to do play sports or any of that. He isn't steady enough and a second blow to the head could be very serious. But at least he is allowed to think again :)
On a side note, don't drop a double pack of costco peanut butter on your foot. It will bruise and swell and cause enough pain to make you wonder if something is broken. But luckily my foot is not broken. That's one thing we don't need right now.
1 comment:
oh, the dramas of your life. you once told me that your grandpa, i think, was so medically mysterious, the docs put him into the textbooks. looks like you follow in his footsteps. ;)i'm glad to finally know the story behind the concussion. ouch!
Post a Comment