The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Monday, April 16, 2012

Science fair is successfully done for another year!

 Science fair is one of those things that I don't mind the actual project of it all.  What I hate is the stupid all important way you present all the info to show what you have learned.  Don't get me wrong, I do honestly understand the importance of it if you are grading the child on doing it but....
 Rachel and Avery decided to do one together.  But they were not graded or anything on it.  It was just for fun.  So the hassle of completing the board didn't thrill me when they were just doing it cause they though it was cool. 

But I'm a good mom and bite my tongue around my kids.  I mean there are worse things in the world than wanting to do extra homework that is not required or graded at all.
 Harrison's on the other hand was graded and required.  In fact his teacher required a 10 page paper to go along with the project.  She was very strict on what she would allow and wouldn't. 
 His project didn't technically fit all the requirements.  You couldn't hand throw an airplane as how you threw it each time would change and therefore not give you the most true information.  But when the plane we ordered online never came in and it was two days before the project was due and he had already done his entire paper I said I didn't care. 
 He didn't need to win, he could get a b or a c on the assignment and I was okay with that.  He could do the best he could with the products he could aquire for the project. 
 It was not at all his fault that it took 3 weeks for delivery on a product that was supposed to ship the next day.  He did his whole thing in good faith and I was fine with it. 


In the end he was content the project was done also and happily took his lowest grade ever, a B- is nothing to cry about when you spend over 20 hours to accomplish it and the only reason it was so low was due to a shipping error you had no control over.   For me, I'm just so happy we can say good-bye to another science fair for another year!

2 comments:

Clarisa said...

you are a good mom. stinkds about the grade but the knowledge was obtained so oh well. your kids are smart. how cool is that?

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with the science fair. We actually really like doing the experiments, all of us do it and watch it and learn from it. But that stupid board. . .grrrr. Those of us that are craft-challenged have a really hard time with that stinking board :) (yes we have lost points for not being creative enough even though all the information was there)