The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Happy 14th to my Matthew!

So I should start with some background on the birthday cake.  I have a kid who loves to challenge me in fun ways.  I think it is his personal goal to find a cake so obscure I either can't or won't make it for his birthday.  Last year it was a banana, this year a cheeseburger.  He debated between a taco and a cheeseburger.  It was fun to do.  It was also very messy to make as I had to frost each meat patty and then pick them up frosted and get them on the toppings already on the bun or previous patty without destroying them.  But I was up for the challenge and he loved it so it was worth it.


  I wasn't going to do a party but on Friday night he talked us into a party on Saturday night. He sent txts to all his friends and figured who ever showed up was great. I told him I would do nothing except make the cake. So they played capture the flag and loved it. It was fun to see him in his element with his friends. He really has such great ones! Though he had just as many girls there as boys which is a little tough for this mom to see. He was spoiled by his friends, money, candy, gum, and two nice shirts from a couple of sisters he thinks are amazing. He is trying to decide the "right" occassion to wear them. It's fun to see him get all tongue tied and nervous around a girl that just moments before he can be chasing and playing on the field with. 
 The party was supposed to end at 8pm, it was at the park near my house as I told him my house was not clean enough or big enough for all those teenagers. But another group of teenagers came up around 8:20 and started smoking. My son and his friends immediately set to "move" the party. I mentioned that since it was after eight the party had actually ended and they could just go home. One kind boy said he would call his dad. I thought to start getting rides home. Nope, he gets off the phone and says, "The after party is at my house, lets all walk over there." So for the next hour and a half or so they played board games at that house for my son's birthday party. 
 Yep that is my kind of party planning...get the party to moved to someone else's house.
The teenagers did make short work of the cheeseburger which is impressive since it was the equivilent of four cake mixes.  Those kids can eat!  But they all had fun and Matthew loved his day!  Happy Birthday to my sweet adorable not so tiny 14 year old!  It's hard to believe how much you have grown in the last 14 years!

1 comment:

Clarisa said...

that cake is so awesome! i was trying to figure out what the middle layers were and how you made them. all frosted individually? wow!!!! it is just so cool!

happy birthday, matthew!