The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pinewood derby...just glad it's over


I'm not going to write much about it. This was my first year doing a lot with the derby that wasn't the stress of building a car with a kid. I can't actually say that it was any less work or stress being on this side of it. Part of it is my desire as the one in charge to want so desperately for it to be a smooth fun time for the kids who have worked so hard to make their cars. There are things I did wrong, could have done better. But we all learn those things right? I spent time this year printing and getting awards ready so every kid has an award they walk away with, not just first second and third. Luckily our cubmaster was left with the task of coming up with each of those. Weigh in this year happened to be on a particularly crazy day where President Obama landed two miles from my house and then a few hours later flew out again from there causing much confusion and traffic. Our pinewood derby was also so early this year which has caused so little time to get other things done that have to be done that we ended up with so many things overlapping. But, the advantage of it being done now is just that...it's done for another year!

Being this is the first year I was over it, we didn't do good about printing a copy of the official rules for each boy. But "most" parents and relatives were fine with a boy having different wheels or little things like that. It's obvious that there are some boys who really work on their cars with their dads, there are some dads who make their cars for their boys, and there are some boys who pretty much do it on their own. I was secretly happy to see a boy win who you knew did the bulk of the work in making the car. Paint job and design all by kid etc. It wasn't the "prettiest" car out there but it was so much fun to see his shock when he won and didn't think he would do it.

The wolf leader and I spent a day making these fun chocolate covered pretzels for the prizes for the boys. Luckily they seemed to be excited for them. I was glad, they were a fair amount of work to pull off.

And though most had a really good time and enjoyed the spirit of the day and what it is for well....let's just say, I've never experienced a pinewood derby quite like that one. I'm just glad it's a year before I have to worrya bout it again. Have you ever seen "Down n Derby"? Watch it, I think we got a little of that at our derby. Maybe if I post rules on walls, read them all out, and lasso kids to their seats all will be content? Okay, so likely not those who are lasso'd to their seats but well, it's a thought. (maybe just having the lasso's there for child or adult who needs a good lasso-ing in would work).

1 comment:

Clarisa said...

also love having someone win who really deserved it on their own. my boys always had less than flashy cars as well, but they never won the fastest. luckily, they also where given other awards, which really does make their days. love the pretzel sticks, btw.