So this last week I had another procedure. This one more miserable, but easier recovery time. But I guess to really explain and document this I should actually tell you something about my past. About 11 years ago I had some health issues, we finally had good insurance and I was "between" kids so it was a good time to check things out. We did. I'm very grateful that we did. We found and removed a couple colon pollups. Normally you don't start checking for these until you are 50 so to check in my 20's was far from normal. But we did find that those were "Pre-malignant".
To explain this...to the best of my understanding. Lot's of people's colon's produce pollups. That is a pretty normal thing. There are two kinds of pollups. Ones that can never turn to cancer and ones that have the potential to turn to cancer. The pollups they removed from me all those years ago were those second kind. The good news of all of that. Since we know, we can take steps to watch and never let it reach the point of actual full malignancy.
So I was way past due going in to check for more. I knew I needed to, it's just not a fun process. But with the other scare wedecided that we needed to follow through and get this done. So off to specialists to go through the history. Find the old dr reports and such (last time this was done was in another state). We finally got it all done and I did the miserable prep. I forgot how bad that was. I think that is why subconsiously I put it off.
Then off to the hospital to be drugged up to look for the pollops and remove them. They found three new ones. They were small and not fully formed. Which is good. It means no matter what the results were, they would be either benign or pre-malignant. So no risk of spreading and causing issues.
They were pre-malignant again. Not always the funnest answer but the answer we expected. Nothing else needs to be done though for 5 more years. At least that one is done for a while!
Why to put all this out here? I forget at times how bad/good it is to do certain things. I want my kids to know when they need to know as adults when certain things happened to me. Colon cancer is one of those things that strangely will effect in the same general age if parents get it. So if parent gets it in his 60's. You don't typically need to worry about it until closer to your 60's. So my kids need to know that they need to start watching it younger. Had mine been allowed to go undetected 11 years ago, I could have cancer now. So in their 30's is when they need to start going through the misery of being checked.
Sorry kids, you got the mom with the messed up body, which means you get her genetics. Luckilky I love.
3 comments:
Glad they were "pre" and glad you are doing okay!
I'm glad you went in and had this done. My mom is going through this right now and although she's taking it pretty well, it's been hard for our family. It is so important to take care of your health!
yup, fun times being an adult. fun times. why can't we all just live the fairy tale we all dreamed up as kids? so wonderful to read your testimony on the blessings in your life.
Post a Comment