Due to some serious cake craziness and broken down car Thanksgiving was at home with just our family and only the "favorite" foods. It was perfect. I spent this month especially really focusing on all that I am grateful for. There is a lot. On facebook I did one thing I'm grateful for each day of the month of November. It was funny how I started to look at things so different to look for the things to be grateful for. I love what doing that did for me. So that I am thankful! Her is our little turkey girl...the only thanksgiving picture that was taken several days after Thanksgiving. But I am grateful for that too, a day to just relax and be a family together and no need to get dressed and fix yourself in case a picture is taken :) One really funny Ellie-ism with this Holiday is best summed up in this "facebook conversation below:
Kim: ellie is so excited it is Thanksgiving...it means she gets to sleep in a tree. who else knew that was part of the holiday celebration?
Robin Klingler Ford: 5 fat turkeys are we. we slept all night in a tree. when the cook came around, we couldn't be found and that's why we're here you see.
Kim: exactly!!! She has been so excited for days since she learned that song that we get to sleep in a tree tonight. Hopefully she takes it okay that we are NOT sleeping in a tree tonight!!
Here are my 30 things in November copied and pasted from facebook. (I am putting in that I copied and pasted it to show how poorly I use English rules that I know when I'm posting onto facebook from my phone. It's more txt ettiquette than typing ettiquette, but it is what it is.)
1. Join me for a grateful/thankful month by sharing at least one thing you are thankful for every day. Today I am thankful that I don't have anymore kids birthday parties to throw this year!
Day 2: Today I'm grateful for a high of only 77. Feels wonderful outside!
Day 3: I am thankful for amazing friends who help remind me that I am a child of God. They are there for me through the really tough times, the heart breaking times, the stressful times, and the great times like today!
day 4: I'm grateful for the rain...even if it is in the middle of our soccer game. At least the kids think its fun to play in the rain.
Day 5: I'm thankful for the scouting program and what my kids learn and how much they grow as boys through it.
day 6: I am grateful for the church of jesus christ of latter day saints. My membership in the church and how it has directed my life is one of my greatest blessings.
Day 7: Grateful for medicne to help my kiddos feel better. Hopefully they are all well enough to go to school tomorrow becuase I don't think I'm up for lots of sick days while John is out of town!
Day 8: I'm Grateful for modern technology that allows me to talk to my husband while he is across the country. I don't envy those early pioneers.
day 9: I am grateful for wonderful friends who watch my daughter for me for a while I get stuff done when I've bit off more than I should.
Day 10: I struggled with what to say today. I am grateful for a lot of things. I am grateful for the patience I have to now throw the cake out the window and start completely over again when it doesn't do what you want it to do. See I'm really trying to be positive only this month.
Okay, Day 10: I'm grateful that the last cake to bake is in the oven. I'm grateful that Costco had some beautiful berries even if they were more than I'd hope to pay, cause everyone else's looked terrible. I am grateful for McDonalds that has cheap burgers my family can eat for dinner when I destroy the house. I am grateful for a patient husband who doesn't complain too much when i destroy the house or stay up all night working on cakes. I'm grateful for great friends who come by when I need a break from my kitchen (Thanks Franchesca Dastrup Retford and Jason Retford). I'm grateful for liking shows that rerun like crazy so I can have something to watch on TV now that I am pulling an all nighter. See, even on a day like today I have a lot to be grateful for....I just have to look for it...look really hard for it!
Day 11: Grateful for our freedoms and those who fought to preserve them. I loved the moment at the wedding tonight when the bride and groom stopped to have those who served honored.
Day 12: Today I'm grateful for Matthew. I got to spend most of the day with him. I went to his soccer game (they won 9 to 1), then hung out at the soccer field with him, lunch at in n out. He then helped me deliver 150 cupcakes. It was fun to just hang with him doing "life" stuff. I love that i have a great 13 year old who loves to hang with his mom!
day 13: today I am grateful for good kids who can get up feed themselves and their little sister and get themselves ready for church. with this migraine I would never get us all out the door today. its all I can do to get myself out the door.
Day 14: Today I am grateful for all my kids teachers. My kids have had and currently have great music teachers who love my kids and are excited to see them succeed which makes my kids want to do better to please them! Thanks for inspiring my kids to grow their talents! I'm grateful for school teachers. We have had and currently have some increible school teachers who work with my kids and their needs. The best part is we found it all in the public school system! I'm grateful for their church teachers who help my kids learn more about who they can become. It takes a village to raise a child and I love the great village I'm surrounded with!
Day 15: Today I am grateful for friends who jump into help with all the little things that I forget to do when I bite off more than I can chew in my life. For sitting and helping me get awards ready for scouts, for running to the store with me, for just hanging out and visiting while I make freezer jam. I couldn't ask for better friends than I have. They love me inspite or my constantly messy house!
Day 16: I am grateful for all the crazy things we do to keep our life busy. I love being a soccer mom and a scout mom, a dance mom and a music mom! I love that I am able to help my kids be a part of things that they love that enrich their lives.
Day 17: Today I'm grateful for my friend Clarisa Espiriti Gailey. We don't hardly ever see each other...it's been years. Yet she makes me laugh out loud all the time at her wonderful comments on my blog. It just brings a smile to my face and makes me feel warm and good inside. Thanks for being a great friend!
Day 18: I am so grateful for books. I love to read and listen to books. I love to get swept away in a story. I love that when I read I alway read books that make me love my life more when I put my book aside. But I love the swallowing yourself up in somoene else's life for even a few minutes.
day 19: I am grateful for the beautiful state that I live in. I love sitting here at the soccer field with my boys!!!
Day 20: Today I'm grateful to have a 13 year old son that I can hand a pkg of lasagna noodles and tell him to make dinner and he can and does. Including making the sauce from scratch because he couldn't find the bottles of premade sauce. He knows what a recipe book is and how to use it!
Day 21: Thankful for medicine and the ability to rest when nothing else works. Grateful for great medial professionals who have worked so hard to keep my life as migraine free as they can. I'm grateful for all they do, even on days like today when nothing succeeds.
Day 22: Today I'm grateful for all my kitchen gadgets and appliances. Between making jam yesterday, baking a wedding cake today, making frosting for a wedding cake and pies and the rest of the baking for Thanksgiving...my kitchen stuff including the dishwasher will be getting a work out. No way I could do it all without those things to support the cause!
Day 23: Today I am more grateful than words can express for a husband who stayed home from work today and helped me put glitter on leaves so I could get this wedding cake done! Best guy ever!
Day 24: Today I'm thankful for food. I love all the good food that I am surrounded by. Today is a lovely reminder of all the good food that abounds us. We are so blessed!
day 25: today I'm grateful for my mom. she is an amazing woman who does so much for my family even though we live far away...and she is a target manager. Anyone who can work retail this time of year deserves my thanks!
Day 26: Grateful for family pictures. All the laughter, jokes, silliness, and a great friend that makes the pictures all come together in the end. My family is just glad they are done.
Day 27: I am thankful for the opportunity to attend church each week. It is so rejuvinating both spiritually and emotionally. To answer a question a lot, that's why I do to church with a migraine. I just get to look like a rock star with my glasses on to survive the florescent lights.
Day 28: I'm thankful for visiting teaching. I love having a visiting teacher that loves to get together with me. I also love that we do it at chick fil a. What a tasty way to connect each month!
Day 29: I am thankful for all the things I constantly learn. I love to learn and teach.
Day 30: Today is the last day of November so the last day of posting my daily thanks. Even after 30 days I feel like I've hardly said any of the things I'm thankful for in my life! I am thankful for a loving God, tender mercies, strength to overcome, friends and family, freedom, my home and transportation, all the things I am able to do for my kids, my ability to learn new things, my ability to grow emotionally and spiritually, repentance, my saviour....and so much more!
2 comments:
i want to try this next year but maybe only on the blog. i'm a little fb shy.
I actually got the idea from my friend who did it on her blog. But it seemed intimidating to post that much everyday. Felt like facebook could just be a few words easier so it wouldn't be so intimidating to me. Funny we all think so differently.
Post a Comment