The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Monday, July 25, 2011

Snowing on a perfect Summer Day in Utah


When we were at Colby dinner Harrison and my Uncle Doug got talking about scouts and things. They talked about Kayaking and how much he enjoyed it at scout camp. That then brought them to the fact that Uncle Doug has kayaks and Uncle Mike has a lake nearby so we should plan a night to hang out. We did, and I'm so glad we did!

First, like everything else in this trip there was a bit of walking down memory lane. I hadn't been to Uncle Mike's house in years. I sent him a christmas card every year but I can't remember the last time I saw him, I would say before i was married would be the best guess. So when we went to Uncle Mike's house (for information sake, Uncle Mike is my dad's Uncle Mike...so he is my great uncle). Anyway, it was a lot of fun to see Mike and Diane, and like so many other things made me want to be a better family member and keep in touch better.

The second big memory lane thing was Uncle Mike's actual yard. It was where my dad and step mom had their wedding reception. I remember it all decorated so pretty. I remember times in my childhood going over there and paddling around on the boats in the lake.


It was a memory I didn't have until we went there and it all came back to me. It was nice to get a childhood memory back. There are so many gaps for me in my childhood and I felt like sitting there in that backyard so many holes were filled in. I still have a lot of holes, but there are less now. I am grateful for that.

One of the strange things that came back to me as a memory of that yard, was that huge cotton tree. I remember there always being a white film on things, well as uncle mike called it, the snowing had just started and would go strong for a few weeks. I loved the cotton floating and falling on everything. It's just not something you see here in Arizona.

But back to why we came. The kids all loved being out on the lake going in paddle boats and kayaking. They loved doing something so different from what we normally get to do in the summer.

I love the weather that allows such great summer activities. Ellie still talks about going kayaking with uncle doug. It was a highlight of her trip that is for sure!

Though the fish weren't biting, she also loved fishing with uncle doug. Just getting cast out again and again was so much fun. Even had the fish been biting, she would not have caught anything since she wouldn't let it sit in the water for more than a second or two before she would reel it in so she could cast it out again. It's always nice when it's so easy to please someone.

It was also fun to have a couple of Dougs kids there with us. Jane and John were able to come to play at the lake with us and then back to Doug and Annie's for food. I haven't seen either of them since before they were married or had kids so it was fun to reunite with my cousins.

We loved lots of tasty food and fun with Doug, Annie and the rest. The kids had a blast with "jack jack" when they weren't busy being scared of him. My kids are not the best dog kids but they are sure getting better.

Thanks for such a great night. It really was a wonderful time and I look forward to doing it again next time we are in Utah.

No comments: