New Years Resolutions have been a struggle for me. I used to make huge lists of all the areas I wanted to improve myself, then I spend most of the year not succeeding at most of them and frustrating myself. I'd find the goals seemed to have done more damage because all I could focus on was the fact I hadn't accomplished what I'd set out to again. I can't remember a time in my life where I ever succeeded in carrying my New Years resolution out through the entire year.
So then I took the approach that I just wouldn't set any goals or anything in Jan so I wasn't bringing myself down. Those two years weren't bad in that my view of myself improved some. However deep down I knew I should be setting more goals for myself I just needed to find a way to do it.
That's when I tried a variety of things like a word for the year or a phrase for the year. In a way that worked pretty well. It was a good bridge for me. I still honestly like to have a word or phrase each each to keep focused on. I haven't found one for this year yet. A couple I've had in the past are "simplify" and "what's best for mom is best for everyone" That second one was probably one of my best years as far as improving myself mentally and spiritually. They both are still kind of mantras that run through my mind often. I wrote a whole blog post about the what's best for mom when I set the goal. It honestly worked for me. I don't believe I'm a completely selfish person so for me, with that phrase and that year, it was about me standing up and allowing myself those things that were important to me. Though they may cause some sacrifice from the family at times what they would bring to me would benefit the family. My health and loss of weight, my mental ability to be more patient as I took a little time for myself, my closer relationship to John and I made sure we spent a little each month to go on a date were all testaments of this. My kids had to not always have me do everything so I could exercise, our diet changed so I could work on loosing weight, I took time away from them to work out or scrapbook to visit with my friends and mentally rebuild myself from the day to day aspects of being a stay at home mom. Yes the family had to give up things for me, but we all benefited I feel very strongly. But that is something I'm better at doing now. I don't have to have it as a phrase for the year to hold strong. I've tested the theory and applied it in my life, and have a testimony that it blesses my life and can now do it with minimal thought to the process. I learned through that process that some things that many feel are good and great things are not the best things for me making them not the best for the family when I do them. I have to be very careful what and how often I read. It does something to me mentally and the way I treat my kids. That may not be the case for others but always having a book to read for me could be consuming emotionally...if the man in the book isn't good to his wife, I'd be upset with John, strange things like that. Also when I read even a completely uplifting book I'm not good at balance and putting it down so I stay up late and don't get the sleep I need, I ignore my duties around the house and snap at the kids. So even the best of books if I read them very often it is not the best thing for me, making it not the best for my family.
So all that brings me to my next step in evolving in New Years Resolutions. I decided that I could find one goal that I could set and find something that would challenge me but it would be only one thing so it might be difficult but I could focus on that one goal and actually succeed at it. One year it was Not to drive more than 5 miles over the speed limit for an entire year. That was HARD!!! But for one year I NEVER went more than 5 over the speed limit. I knew myself I couldn't just say not speed at all or I'd never do it. But keeping close to the speed limit I knew would still be very difficult for me. So it was a challenge no question, but I did it for an entire year.
So that brings me to this year. Like I said I'd still like a word or phrase to guide me through the year but I haven't found one that "feels right" But I did figure out my goal for the year. Drum roll please.....
I will NOT drink Soda of any kind Saturday through Thursday after 5pm. I know many of you will laugh, but honestly even with my caviots it is going to be VERY difficult for me. But allowing myself to have soda earlier in the day when I feel the desire or on a Friday night when the mood sets me up, I allow myself the times and places I need it making easier to cut down the amount I drink and hopefully by avoiding it in the evening I can do better at going to be earlier which is something I would like to try to get better at.
So there you have my resolution for the year...wish me luck!
3 comments:
I don't think that's a silly goal at all. Soda is kind of the antithesis of water (which is the elixer of life!).
I began saying no to soda when I was in high school; not all the time, but gradually more and more over the years. Now I only drink it when we go out or have a party or something like that. Even then, if I have more than one glass, I regret it. Water has been my beverage of choice for years and any time I deviate from that for any length of time, I feel the effects of it.
I think once your body adjusts to the change, you'll find it pretty easy to stick to your goal. I always maintain that water is the best for your body, but anything you replace soda with will be a step up.
Go, Kim! GO! You can DO it!
That made me smile, because I know you and I know how much you love soda. Good luck. If you can only go 5 mph over the speed limit for a whole year, you can certainly skip soda 5 days a week, right?
Good Luck, I haven't thought of what my goal will be this year, but I know you have the will power to succeed at yours. If you think you need a soda text me and I will convince you otherwise. I have gone many years without a soda, but now with my migranes and being allergic to asprin, my doctor recommended drinking a soda to make them toleratable. Soda makes me sick when I drink them so it isn't hard to say no to it because my body is no longer use to having it.
Post a Comment