The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Nevels Family Reunion


So after maaaannnny hours of driving we arrived at Windimere in Missouri where the reunion was being held. Due to driving miscalculations we arrived an hour or more early for the check in so we just hung out in the parking lot.

Then other siblings started to arrive and we hung out near the check in building to wait to be able to check in and go check out our cabins. It was fun to watch all the people arrive. We pretty much had to reintroduce our kids to everyone as it's been 4 years since we've been back to visit in Missouri.

The kids had lots of fun playing and getting to know each other. Some knew each other well and others like mine got to find their way in with the rest. They spent time outside playing in the creek or over at the sand volley ball court (Matthew you still owe one bath of Ellie for letting her get covered in sand right after I bathed her.) But I am grateful for the way the family would work together to take care of and play with each others kids. If one person wasn't really up to a trip to the pool then someone else would take kids who wanted to go so the other one could stay. This provided the opportunity for people to visit and play and hang out in smaller groups allowing for more intimate conversations. The bigger kids also took turns not just helping with younger siblings but hanging out playing games and such all over.

The kids love Uncle Matthew. It is so much fun to watch him with the kids. He does a great Donald Duck voice and he would sit and talk to them as Donald and answer questions. Then he pulled out a book and read an entire book to the little kids as Donald Duck. It was so much fun to see. Another time he got Grandpa to put make up on his face and do the "upside down" faces to talk to the kids. The kids laughed soooo hard. It was so fun to see. I loved seeing two adult men do such a "kid" thing and play this way with the kids. This one was a huge hit with all the kids not just the little ones.

One of the things I really struggled with at the reunion is the balance between being behind the camera and just sitting and enjoying the event. You don't always want to be so worried about having your picture taken that you can't sit down and relax, yet I felt like becuase having the pictures and documentation of such things is sooo important that I wanted to make sure we had a record as a family of the things we did together. Not to mention the love I have of catching "those sweet moments" in life whether big or small...I love the small, just catching people happy and content in every day life. I know I didn't always find the balance I wanted. There are things I didn't end up with a single picture of like the boat that pulled the kids behind cause I never made it on the boat. Or any pictures of the older kids when they were playing cards on the bridge it was so fun to see. I never got any pictures of the work behind the scenes like the huge meals put on by a husband and wife or and entire family working together. And other times where I worried a little too much about the getting the picture that it took me a little time to stop and think about what was actually going on. But overall though it wasn't perfect I hope when we get the pictures gathered that others took it will fill in some gaps to help capture the time we spent together.

I loved seeing the personality come out on this little boy of Uncle Matthew's. Benjamin loved bugs and was not scared of them like my Ellie. Heck he walked around showing everyone this cool secada that he caught. Another bug hit was the massive beatle that was found at the edge course. That thing was massive...unfortunately I didn't have my camera as I was doing the events.

This is what my cute little ellie could be found doing many times a day. Whenever she gets tired or stressed this is what her hair looks like. It did look like this a lot!!!

Though the reunion was just John's parents and their posterity John's grandma was able to make it out for a few hours to see everyone. Being slower getting Ellie ready for the pool she got some one on one time with her Great Grandma Nevels before we headed out for a little bit. It was fun to see her take to her and just sit and visit with her.

Rachel and the rest of us Arizonans love that we could be outside and hang out without dying. Don't get me wrong it was still warm and wet from the humidity, but we were able to play outside in a way you just don't do much in the summer here in Arizona.

I love this picture. It's of the creek down at the bottom of the hill right in front of the three cabins we were in. There were many hours spent out here just hanging out and watching the kids play in the little bit of water, the rocks, the mud.

Thank you all Nevels Family for all the great time we had together. It was so great to have the time with all of you. It wasn't enough time yet it is much, much more than we could hope for! We love you all and already miss you sooo much!

No comments: