The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Father's Day!


So even though I'm pretty behind on my posts I wanted to take a minute and blog about the wonderful guy I have. So beware and move on if you don't want to read a sappy gushy we are so much better than every other family out there. Well, I honestly don't think we are so much better than every other family, but there are things and days that I just love my family and love to watch their love come through. Father's day is one of those. It is a day that typically requires a lot out of a mom, and this day was no less exhausting for me. My kids really wanted to "show" John what a great dad he is and so did I. Having no money it took a little more creativity! I asked him last night what he wanted for dinner, his answer was anything the kids will eat without complaining. That I think that showcased just what he looked for in a day, a day where he didn't have to worry about things but everyone was patient and got along. So how did I start the day off to make sure that happened? I did it like the crazy person I am, I stayed up most of the night cleaning the house, going shopping and making a cake, taking time to get wrapped up in my book more times than I should. I finally crashed around 3 so I could wake up at 4:30 to take a shower and get ready for church. The boys got up with me and when we were ready...enough, we woke rachel up around 5 and got her dressed and had her lay down on the couch downstairs in case Ellie woke up. Then the boys and I headed over to church. I think I should explain. John gets up early every sunday morning and goes over to the church and sets up all the chairs in the building. Many times there are other guys with him but a few times it's just been him. Well unless we did breakfast in bed at 5 am we didn't see a way to let him have the relaxing morning unless we went and did the chairs for him (We turned off his alarm too) Sneaky I know, but it's the only way to serve this guy! So once we were back home from setting up the chairs we made breakfast and served it at the table not in bed...even alarm off he was up and showering by the time we got home. But we got to eat breakfast as a family before we all headed off to church. I felt bad for the dad's, it's just the sentimental me, but it just wasn't the same without the primary kids singing to them and a candybar at the door. But John didn't seem to mind and I was just put into nursery so I was in too much of a rush to worry about it. After church John stayed for meetings so we came home and finished picking up the house and when he got home we ate lunch and played a game of skip-bo together. It's his favorite game to play (even if he won't admit it) He encourages it and chooses it all the time, even if he's down over 30 game to me in our 13 years of playing it.) After that we all laid down for a Sunday afternoon nap. John was too nice and let me sleep way too long so he was off for his meeting for the evening before I woke up. So we enjoyed a late, very late dinner of hamburgers and jello. Yep that was the meal I could come up with that didn't end up with kids whining. We followed that with cake and ice cream. That was the best part of the day!!! The reason was of course Ellie! Ellie loves to celebrate her birthday and so cake and ice cream meant it was a perfect time to sing happy birthday before we eat cake. Then over and over and over again we'd hear, "Look at me mommy....happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birttthhhhdddaaayyyy toooooooooo yoooouuuuu!" Then I'd walk away or turn away for a half second and then it would start again, "Mommy look at me....{you know the rest}. She sings it in such a sad longing voice. It had us all laughing, trying to not let her catch us. It was just pure happiness as a family and that is a snapshot of that evening. We followed it up with the "presents" John bought himself and Rachel made for him. Then the kids all piled on John until he couldn't take it anymore and we all went to bed. (Well except me who is up late blogging about the day before I forget how wonderfully perfect it was of a day!)

3 comments:

Clarisa said...

happy father's day

Leefamlee Treasures said...

What a great idea of setting up the chairs! I bet he loved that. I know, nothing at church for the Father's! What happened and who dropped the ball??? It made me so sad.

Clarisa said...

i know i already commented but i just loved this post so much i had to come back again. last time i didn't have ability to write much (holding babies) but i really really loved how you pulled it all off, sneaking around. you guys have so much creativity with your traditions! happy father's day again. he so deserved it!