The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day


Every memorial day and veterans day my kids like to remind me I was once a soldier for the US Army. Though it was such a short part of my life, it is fun to look back and see what a funny looking soldier I made. So for my kids here are a couple pictures from those days on this memorial day.

I don't have any huge profound words of wisdom on this Memorial Day. I grew up going to the cemeteries and putting flowers/flags for those we should remember who have been lost to us. One of the things I liked about that growing up was it was about all those that we lost not just about those who fought in wars. I know there were many who were lost to provide our freedom and for them I am grateful. There were some in my family who either lost their life in the war, or lost their life because of the war as they never came back the same and were able to do those things and live that life they used to live. For all of those sacrifices and many others I am grateful. I wish that I lived near the cemeteries where my grandparents are buried. I wish we lived where my father is buried. But all I live near is where two of my children are buried. I don't however go there today. It's busy and not something John is comfortable with or understands the necessity. So, I give in what I'd like to do on this holiday and he gives on what he'd like to do on this holiday. Here at our house, it tends to be a holiday much like many others these days...a day to get things done. We are spending the day trying to rearrange our house. To get the girls into their bunk beds. Trying to put hand-me-down beds to work. Working to get stuff listed on Craig's list that we don't need anymore. All sorts of fun. No barbecue with family for us like so many get to have. For us I'll help a child make dinner...our new thing we are starting this summer. We live far away, we've had a crazy busy couple of weeks, and today is all about my honey-do list. This is for those things that I want done, not those things he thinks needs to get done. They all need to get done but for today I take priority. I guess I get that fun after staying up all night with Ellie covered in hives. Yep that's the fun at our house. So with all of this I just wanted to take a minute to remind myself why I have my husband here to do all those things I want to get done. I am grateful for those who fought in war to provide the freedom to be able to do things like this, and a day to stop and remember where my husband isn't at work, and isn't out doing church service, a day where we can do what we need to get done here. Thanks Memorial Day for all that you provide to all of us in such different ways, I will take another day when I can have time and uninterrupted quiet to visit my babies, and when I get to Utah next I'll take a day to visit the graves of those I love there. Just know that no matter what I do on my memorial day, I'm grateful for this day.

1 comment:

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

I love that you were a soldier. You are such a unique and interesting person- I love that about you! I am missing our chats at the park... I am going to need to come back to Gilbert just to get my Kim fix!!