For our ward party on the 25th they had a "non talent show" it was pretty funny though my husband was NOT happy to be required to perform in it. So we racked our brains and spent many hours to come up with something that he could do on stage that would be the least painful thing. Nothing he could do would be painless so we were just going to ease his suffering. In the end I wrote a skit where they are looking for a new High Priest group teacher. They try out several teachers, the forceful--gotta be reverant, the slow monotone--need to serve more, the over achiever--do home teaching, bringing cookies to get volunteers and juggling to keep them awake, and finally the teacher who just gives them all a pillow and says, "why fight the inevitable." It turned out really fun with them poking fun at all the stuff they do as High Priests. Harrison also got a great role of walking across the stage with the signs saying which week it is.
The kids participated in the primary part of it. They sang a couple pioneer songs and Harrison told a story from our pioneer heritage. Now the other kids who told stories told ones about pioneers coming from England, or stories of the difficulties of crossing the plains. As we looked for stories like that we couldn't find any. Honestly couldn't find any. I thought, this is crazy! I had family who lived in Nauvoo, my family has been a part of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers for as long as I can remember how can there be no stories? But as I read all the accounts I found of those who crossed would tell about their conversion and then say, "and we crossed the planes" and then tell about their life in Utah or New Mexico, or where ever they were sent to settle. It was so strange. It made me wonder. What things will my ancestors be disappointed about what I didn't write? I sit here and write about all the fun and great thing in my life, but is there an accounting of my struggles, how I overcame them, how I survived through them to the end? Or does mine, like most say things like, "I burried many children who didn't take a breath in this life" It really is just one of those things that got me to thinking. I don't know what if anything I will change in all of this but it is good food for thought.
Now, since I'm off that tangent, I'm going back to my struggle here, what pioneer story to share since they all glossed over that which we today find so interesting. So I decided to let Harrison choose since he was the one reading it. He got up there and told his story proudly and boldly about his great.....great grandma, (I'm not going to figure out how many greats should be in there) and when an indian held a knife to her throat and threatened to kill her unless she would marry him. She refused without any fear. He ended up letting her go and later converted to the church. So in the end, we did things like we always do, with a little flair and spunk. You wouldn't be my kid if you do it any other way right? And look it is something that was handed down through the generations to me and my kids.
I have included just a couple pics here from the day since there were some really fun ones, our bishopric did a lip sync and another group did a whole hillbillie thing. It was a great night and I'm so glad we went. John however is just glad that it's over!!
2 comments:
I thought it was a great story! Good job writing the skit and thanks again for bringing cobbler! You're awesome!
Man, I'm sory I missed that one! Nice. Very nice.
Post a Comment