The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wrestling a Bear


So it seems there are posts that some think should not be posted and others, well other things that is exactly the reason you blog. So here is today's reason. Harrison earned his Bear in scouting. Our ward does a thing where they set up a tent and the boy has to go in the tent and wrestle the bear and win to get your award. So it's all well and good until it's my son! The "bear" better known as John, was in the tent waiting to wrestle Harrison. Now most people know this is pretty much all for show. They have pieces of clothing and fur that get thrown out of the tent while they bang on the sides of the tent, dad growling, kid yelling back, that sort of thing. Well Harrison goes in and promptly bites John on the stomach. A seriously hard big bite out of his stomach. Needless to say that boy almost didn't beat the bear after that. After it was done he came out and John was telling us about what happened. I started laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face. I could just picture it. Harrison walks in and just bites down nice big bite right out of the front of John's belly. Now, I should note, no bleeding but the teeth mark lasted hours! So, anyway, I am hysterically laughing at the fact my son bit my husband, and my husband was able to keep his cool. This also brings up another strange side note. I have a weird thing I do. It is uncontrollable, I have never been able to help it, but when I see someone get hurt I laugh. I laugh, long and hard. So, not only do I think this is just funny but knowing about things caused me to laugh anyway. So, I sat there laughing not able to stop. John makes the comment, people don't bite bears, bears bite people. That then got me rolling even harder. Now, while all this is happening they are trying to go on with the pack meeting. I didn't hear a single rule for the Rain gutter Regatta since I was laughing so hard. I finally got calmed down and little and John lifted his shirt to see if there was a mark since it still hurt several minutes later. He pointed out the red mark to us. Rachel responded, "Well, it's hairy" Oh my goodness that got me going all over again.

So the lesson to be learned here from this is simple, Don't bite a bear, it just makes the bear mad!

***So here is an added note to this post. So my sweet "bear" made the mistake of telling a couple women at work about this. So they have been teasing him mercilessly since then. Today they were all at lunch. He stepped away for a bit and came back and there was a card on his plate. He opened it, and this is what it read,
"Congratulations! You are the first recipient of the "Bite teh Hairy Belly of Life" award. We appreciate all your efforts to make this a better (or more bearable) place to work.
Sincerely, BTBLT (Bite the Belly Leadership Team)

3 comments:

Katie said...

That IS hilarious! I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing either - I do the same thing, laugh when someone gets hurt!

Lyric Payne said...

I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall, mostly to see you trying to control your laughter. I have to do that quite often too!

Kirk and Aly said...

Too funny! I would have loved to be there to see the "bear attack"! Kids are so funny!

BTW - Ellie was adorable at the park tonight. I think I'm starting to win her over. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)