I have been dying to blog about this. I have had so much shock and emotion about this change but until the change was actually made I have yet to blog about it. So now that it happened today I can finally share some of my thoughts and feelings. First I will preface this that if you are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) as we are it will likely not make much sense.
But have you ever had one of those days when the phone rings and you feel that if you answer it your life will change. You ignore those feelings and answer the phone. You are asked to come in with your husband on Sunday and meet with the Stake President. Again you search for any reason why you can't do that, yet find your self saying, "Of course we'd love to." Then you get several days to wonder and worry and ponder over what it could mean since they so considerately asked you early in the week. Sunday rolls around, you've speculated all you think is possible, when you have all your sunday meetings to look around the crowd, hum, who's been in their callings along time, what are callings that would be asked by the stake president, who's moving etc. After more speculation the moment finally arrives. You sit at his desk and feel very inadaquate. Then he asks me if I would support my husband being the high priest group leader!!??!! Really??? In all my speculations I would never have even begun to think that way. I mean you are only a high priest if you are over 55 or in a bishopric right? Who gets called to be a high priest group leader before he turns 35? Okay so he turned 35 the next day but still. We are not that old yet. I know, I know, there is nothing that says you have to be a certain age to be a high priest, but it's just typical. And the only young guys ever called to be a high priest are NOT called so they can be a group leader but becuase they are called to scarier things, like bishops and such. In all my speculations I looked at the bishopric wondering if he would be made a counselor but NEVER thought of high priest group leader. I feel like I just aged like 30 years in the couple weeks we've known about this. Now, all this is not to say that I don't think he'll do a good job, becuase I personally think he'll do an awesome job, looking at his personality I think he'll do really well with this, it's just so unusual it's thrown me through a loop. And I can honestly say that I feel like they were inspired on the call. I don't have any doubts of the inspiration of the call, as I said, it's just a shock. So now that it's official and we are settling into this, I just wanted to share my shock with my friends. So that's the new news at the Nevels house!
4 comments:
No shock here! I knew when he was in Blackfoot on his mission that he was destined to great things :) Congratulations. That is a big job and the bishop relies so heavily on the HP group leader! You will do awesome. Good luck!
My dad felt the same way when he was put in...he was 39 when they put him in as the high priest leader. He turned to my mom and said I know my hair is gray, but Im not that old am I. Congrats John.
Wow--I knew you were OLD, but not that OLD;) Congratulations--that's an exciting change! I can imagine your shock, Kim. Was John just as shocked? WOW!
Hey, congrats John! Now, you and your dad can share stories on the same calling while you are both in it. Kind of weird, kind of neat.
Andy
Post a Comment