The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Warning!!! The most perfect Birthday weekend!

Okay so this is fair warning to all those few of you who might happen to still read my blog.  This is my periodic reminder of why I blog...for me!  I'm selfish that way.  I also blog for my kids as I do believe keeping a journal is important and I also know I'm pretty horrible at it in more conventional methods.  Also, for Debbie's sake Valerie I ask you not to read this post. :)  There Debbie you are all good, she will never read it now and know what happened. 

I will say this at the end again, but please don't feel obligated to read this or any of the future posts where I write about my thoughts feeling and notes about what I learned this weekend, there will be several.  I want to not forget them and this is the only place I can do that.  I really am not offended when you don't read my ramblings.


So all that being said.  For my birthday this year John thought about me months in advance and bought me tickets to TOFW (Time Out For Women).  A 2 day conference about women for women done by Deseret Book.  He offered it up to my friends and a group of 4 of us booked a hotel room and prepared to leave for the weekend.  One friend Valerie sadly got super sick and didn't end up making it.  We really missed her.  She is one of those incredibly thoughtful people who probably don't need to go to a weekend like this as she thinks of others so much.  She even bought we a pumpkin cheesecake (my favorite) to enjoy on the weekend.  The other two incredible friends who also don't need to be at something like this as they are those great examples to me all the time were Debbie Niu who (I'm sorry but it's my journal so since it all ended well I'm going to rat you out) ran into a few technical issues on the weekend. I do blame all her technical issues on medicine she takes or becuase she tries to do so much for so many even her incredibly brilliant mind forgets things.  And last but very far from least Krinn Norby.  She is one of those rocks in your life.  The person you know you can always count on.  Who is always there when you need her and seems to always know when that is even before you do. 

So Friday as soon as kids were home from school and husbands were home early for work we headed off to get stuck in traffic.  The drive downtown took much longer than it should have as there was a basketball game going on across the street from where we were headed.  Part way there, (Here is where I rat out my great friend Debbie), Debbie realized that she left the pumpkin cheesecake mentioned above that was sent with her for my birthday at home.  She called home and asked her husband to make sure it was in the fridge.  It wasn't.  She made him look everywhere in their house and garage.  No cheesecake.  At this point I was sworn to not tell Valerie as she would feel horrible that she had ruined Valeries birthday present to me.  I tried to reasure her its the thought on both that count and she saved me the calories but she would not hear it.  We called my house to make sure she hadn't brought it there when picking me up but no luck.  We double checked the car we drove in and no cheesecake there.  I honestly worried more about the smell/mess it would be that would help her find it.  Then we got to the convention center and were taught so much so well that, well that will be a few more posts later.  After it ended at 9:30, 2 directionally challenged women (Debbie and I) were led by Krinn successfully to our hotel.  We ordered pizza and settled in to chat and strengthen friendships while we waited for food.  We ate our selves silly at midnight when the food finally arrived and ended the night with a slice of cheesecake I couldn't help ordering in honor of Debbie and the missing cheesecake.

Then today, my birthday we spent the day being filled with great food, reconnecting with friends we haven't seen in a long time, being filled emotionally, spiritually, and mentally, and overall just enjoying a perfect day.  We ran into a small technical issue at lunch when we realized just one more way we were lacking in our lives without Valerie there when she knew how to get to Jimmy Johns and the rest of us didn't.  But with some texting to my husband and a phone call to Debbies husband, GPS on my phone, Debbie finding familiar spots, and a little luck we did find our lunch.  We finished off the day by successfully finding the car which we would have found faster if we had just listened to Krinn instead of me thinking I could find something and then with only a minor detour or two due to poor navigational skills we found our way home. 

And to end the evening Ellie and I caught a ride to pick up my free meal from Joe's Farm Grill and while there Debbie showed up at my house with the missing cheesecake.  Where was it you ask???  In the freezer, where else would you put a cheesecake that says "Keep frozen" on the box.  If only we had thought to look there earlier. So now after being stuffed completely I have a great treat for tomorrow.  Thanks ladies for an incredible memory this weekend was.  And thanks John for taking care of everything in my life so I could have it.  A second thanks to John is for the two new cute pair of jeans from Ross so I could feel cute this weekend.  It may be trite, but it sure helps at times.

Now, if you made it this far here is my final warning.  As this is my journal I am going to spend several posts putting down my thoughts and notes from this weekend that I don't want to forget.  Please don't feel any obligation to read them. :)

2 comments:

Brooke Romney said...

Wish I was there!

Clarisa said...

happy birthdya! my sister's birthday is also on the 3 of nov, same day of tofw and her husband sent her there, too! how fun! hoped you enjoyed your chesse cake!