A wedding cake for a friend can always be such a tricky, yet rewarding thing. I loved being able to give Mel what she was looking for in a cake. I just wish it hadn't cost me so much money to do so when I had more issues with this lovely cake than I've had on a cake in such a long time. The frosting she wanted I should have said no, it's such a pain to work with, but being that she was such a great friend I wanted her to have what she wanted so I fought with the frosting. I had the middle tier of the cake not turn out A LOT! It kept coming out more like bread pudding than cake. I still haven't figured out what went wrong. I tried changing and fixing as much as I could. So in the end it wasn't the flavor of carrot cake that I planned but it was still good. Just a lot of extra cake for others to eat.
Rachel went with me to set up the cake and be there for the wedding. She loved that she got to spend that time with me just the two of us. It really was a great night for us, inspite of her mis-hap. (That story will come in just a second.) First though, I want to comment on the picture above. I love that she wanted to take a picture of me with the cake. She did a pretty good job on the picture if I say so myself.
The wedding was a lovely bright yellow affair. I loved the bright colors. I loved seeing my friend so totally happy. I did NOT love how incredibly hot it was outside. I also did not love the stupid golf cart driver who in backing up backed Rachel's mouth into a metal sign cutting her lip and gums all up. We had to stop to take care of bleeding and her mouth hurt her for the rest of the night.
I loved the black and yellow candy for us to dish up and take home. We made sure we enjoyed that table!
I loved haning out with some great friends. My friend Debbie took her daughters Avery and Cambria and my friend Jade was there with her husband. We spent most of the night just us hanging out visiting. It was a great girls night out. (I'm sure everyone except maybe Jade's husband would agree). Debbie and my husband were super happy to be left out of the fun!
When the dancing began in earnest I loved that Debbie got out there and got her jiggy on with her girls. Check out her shoes! Are those not the cutest ones ever? Yes, I know, John would hate them, but I gotta say I love em!
Then the cutting of the cake. I was so happy it held up so long. And after they fed each other a bite, Mel loved the cake so much she kept eating extra bites. That made all the stress on the cake worth it.
Rachel enjoyed the candy station too! Check out her and her cute candy!
Finally, after Debbie and her kids and Jade and her husband left Rachel wanted to stay. This was the last night she was going to get to spend with her friend as they were moving out of state the day after the wedding. So we stayed and she danced and played for a while. They loved it and were sad to say goodbye.
Thanks Mel for being such a great neighbor, but we are so happy for you in your new life with a great guy!
1 comment:
so cool you did the cake for her. i didn't realize it was so big until i saw it in comparison with people! i love the colors on it, so pretty. looks like you all had fun!
Post a Comment