The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Our newest family member

So I NEVER thought I'd be a dog family in this house! I always swore never in this house and never in Arizona. Well, Never say Never!
I have a friend who breeds black labs and we have known many times there is an option for one to become ours. But in case you didn't know...dogs aren't cheap. Heck, even a free dog isn't cheap. So we have always turned it down. For some reason this time the offer came we were tempted. He was being given to us if we wanted him as a Christmas present to our family.
The offer also came on the day I met with the surgeon and got my prognosis for the future. I don't know, sometimes if you life is going to be turned upside down whats one more thing right? Well, for me, it just felt right to get him. But I didn't want to put pressure on John. I would be okay if we had decided not to. I would be okay either way. If the dog came to our family I could see the blessings he could be for us right now. If he didn't...well I have enough on my plate and that's okay too.
So while at her house a barrage of texting questions came from John:
Send a picture. What does papered mean? Purebread? Does that mean health problems from "in breading" Can we afford vet, bills, dog food etc. Boy or girl? Is he a chewer? What's it's personality like? What's it's name? Is he potty trained to go outside? Leg lifter? How many dogs has he been around? Do we get to choose ours or just the last one left?
We answered those and the millions he had when he called. I don't think she ever had to work so hard to give away an expensive dog. But in the end he decided yes. Then we went to buy collar and he sat there second guessing the decision.
But as soon as we took the collar over to him John was smitten. There was no going back. In fact, we had originally talked about keeping him there until Christmas Eve, but John just couldn't leave him there another night.
So we suprised the kids with a new puppy at our house. My brother happened to be coming by to visit for a few hours so he got to hang out with our new little Gunner. He loved that he got to be there.
For me, I feel that he will be a big blessing to all of us in our house for different reasons as we go through this time. We don't know what the future holds for me. I feel like I won't be sick for months which means not lots of chemo. (This could be wishful thinking but that's good too right?) Either way, we don't know what is in store, but I feel if it's not simple than it will be more of an emotional time than a physically sick time. That being the case a dog to love and comfort will be a blessing for me also. (See I do have a soft side)
So with all of this we are all in love of our Gunner. Ellie will stop screaming and running everytime he is awake and touch him then, not just kiss him when he's asleep. Harrison will become less scared and more secure with him. He already is. All this being said I know he is supposed to be in our family so we are now a dog family come what may. And great thanks to Elizabeth and Steve for turning us into one.

3 comments:

Kirk and Aly said...

You are the nicest mom ever! I may send my girls over to love on your dog, so we won't have to have one.

Brooke Romney said...

Okay, dog shmog...what is going on??? I just read your last post and I had no idea...see what I get for being absent from the computer all month? Just want you to know that I love you and we'll be praying for you, the doctors and your fam. Call me anytime you need an ear to listen. love you!!!!

Clarisa said...

i love black labs. santa brought us one when we first moved here. loved that dog that i swore we would never get. hope you kids love him oh so much as well. and you and john, too. your kids will always love you for it!