I am super proud of Matthew for making the 8th grade basketball team again. He really is enjoying it. He has to work really hard with this team. It really is burning his candle at both ends, but the season is so short and he wants it so bad, I just spend this month of september and couple weeks it hits in October trying to help him in life as much as I can.
Practice is every day that there isn't a game for an hour and a half. It really is keeping his active which is really keeping him eating. I know this post is supposed to be about basketball, but here is an "average day right now for him." Wake up eat a bowl of oatmeal and toast, get ready for school, eat some eggs and a couple bowls of cereal. Then off to school for am practice. After practice before school the "school provided breakfast" Not sure what's in that but it's more food. For lunch he packs 2 sandwhiches, 2 bags of chips, 4 granola bars and 2 fruits. After school he can barely make it home without finding something to eat. I usually have a rule of only fruit after school. But I have been making the exception for him and letting him eat dinner left overs. Then at dinner time he has a couple helpings of food. And then right before going to bed he usually has to have a little snack. Something like 4 bowls of cereal or a try of bagel bites. Yep that kid knows how to eat right now!
But back to basketball, last year he spent a lot of time on the bench. This year he plays at least half the game if not more. I don't think this will ever be "his" sport like soccer is, he just has to work so hard at it, but he really enjoys it and how it challenges him to get outside his comfort zone.
This last picture I had to add as last year the team only one 1 game and it was late in the season. This year he has won two and not even close, and lost a couple close games...well along with getting creamed a few times. But huge improvement from last year! It's fun to see them progressing as a team. Way to go boys! By the way, they were the visitors at this game.
2 comments:
holy cow! do you have to go grocery shopping twice as often as usual? that's a lot of food!
congratulations, matthew! and talk about needing calories! that kid still looks as skinny as ever! ever hear what that olymic swimmer ate? ha, can't even think of his name right now but i think he might have some competition at the table with matthew!
Post a Comment