So this weekend was our Father's and Sons. I would say I have some super fun pictures to show for it, but John took the camera but that doesn't make pictures. Still working on teaching him that you have to actually use the camera to have pictures. Maybe some friends husbands are better at taking pictures than mine and will have gotten my husband or sons. But they enjoyed the time and made a tasty chili in the dutch oven. Well I know what to get John for Father's day this year. He is really enjoying cooking in a dutch over. This is the 3rd thing he's cooked in one in the last month.
While the boys were away the girls did play! We started the evening off with Rachel's final dance class/party. She enjoyed it. Then we went to dinner to Olive Garden with some friends. Rachel picked the place, we all enjoyed the food. Then back to my house to scrapbook, visit, and just enjoy each other's company for the night. I love staying up late, getting things done that I enjoy and just catching up and hanging out with my friends. Different friends came and went at different times. My last friend left with just enough time for me to print out my bountiful basket reports and head over to meet the truck for the baskets. I can't say enough how fun it was.
Saturday was then spent taking a nice long nap before the boys got home. When they got home we got to work on the cleaning of everything including them that smells of lingering campfire so it doesn't take over our house. Then off to the library for the kids to work on their research projects. Each kid has a big project coming up, Harrison is studying Bill Gates, Rachel Dr. Seuss, and Matthew the entire 90's. When the library closed we headed over for haircuts and home for leftovers. The kids enjoyed left overs while John and I went on a date.
I love going on dates with my husband. And i know it's not everyone's cup of tea for an amazing date but this was one of the best one's we've had in a long time. He had already been in meetings for Stake conference so inbetween meetings he and I went to chick fil a for a quick dinner then back to church for the adult session of stake conference. It is my favorite meeting for stake conference and this one was amazing! I'm glad I wasn't called on as many, many people were called on on the spot to bare a 2 minute testimony. Then Elder Baxter from the 70's spoke for about an hour. I have not felt so uplifted and inspired as I was in that meeting. There were so many things he talked about that i felt he was speaking just to me. Things I needed to hear and be reminded of. It was all about overcoming the trials, difficulties and such of life and having a more positive attitude throughout them.
But of everything he taught the thing that stuck out the most to me is when he talked about the story of the wise man and the foolish man. It's a pretty common bible story about two men. One who built his house upon a rock and the other built his house upon the sand. Then the storms come along and the house on the rock stands strong but the house on the sand washes away. Like I said I've known that story since I was a kid, our kids love to sing the primary song about it. But he talked about a few points of it that I've never thought about before. First, that not only the foolish man had the storms come into his life, the wise man did too. Sometimes I find myself asking why me? I'm faithful, etc. But this bible story teaches that the storms will come to the wise and the foolish alike. We must be prepared for them but not expect to avoid them in our lives. It's not like that isn't sung in the song and such, I've just never really thought about it in that way. It was an "aha" moment for me! The other part he pointed out is that if the wise man had built the house upon the rocks and when the storms came along decided he'd been faithful enough, it was too hard, he needed a break any of those sorts of things...took a walk away from the house on the rocks, he would not have stood strong. Not only need we build a strong house but we need to stand and rely on it when the storms of life are there. Like I said I'm sure this was not any big "lightning" moment for most, but for me, it was a wonderful reminder of what life has in store and how we overcome and endure through life.
4 comments:
Sounds like a GREAT weekend.
I'm so glad you recaped the adult session. We were so suppose to go and then Aubree got sick so we had to hang with her during our date night night. I was truly upset we didn't get to go! That's one of my favorite date nights as well!
Great conference weekend and we enjoyed every minute with Elder Baxter. I LOVED his teachings and truly felt inspired as well!
Wish we could have gone! It is always one of my favorites, too.
Post a Comment