So this last week we've had some interesting moments. These are not in chronological order, just the order they came to me as I started this post. No pictures of any of these...well there's pictures from after the first but I'm not hassling with waiting to post this until I get them off the camera to here, so it's a picture reprieve for you all. Feast or famine here people, that's the way it rolls at this house when it comes to pictures
So, most everyday after school we go and hang out and play at the park near our house for a bit with other moms and their kids to relax and chill before jumping into the craziness of dinner, scouts, homework, soccer, callings and whatever else we can find to keep us busy. This is just my time. I treasure it. Well yesterday it wasn't as relaxing as I'd hoped. The girls were up on the playground part...thankfully, and the boys were taking turns pitching a baseball to each other. Another young kid we are guessing to be around 8 or 9 had brought his dog to the park. I don't know what kind of dog, I'm not a dog person. I know it was white, very beefy, pretty big, with a boxer type face, my friend says it's a mix for sure. Anyway, this kid had the dog on a leash, a very short one and had been playing with the dog and several kids. Everything was fine. He would let go of the leash which I didn't care for but it seemed to be a nice dog, and I wasn't his mom so I didn't say anything. Then (I didn't see this part, just how I'm told) Matthew was up to bat and connected. He hit the ball. This got the dogs attention. Noone is sure if the dog tried to bring the ball back to him or what but I look up becuase Matthew is screaming and I see this dog attacking my son. Now, just because I'm scared of dogs doesn't mean I'm niaeve, I don't believe the dog realized he was attacking him. I think the dog thought they were playing it was just not appropriate play. Matthew would try to hit and push the dog back and the dog would bit his ankles and knees. So Matthew would take off running and the dog would run after him. Us mom's would scream at Matthew to stop running and he would for a moment or two but then the dog would get to biting him again so he'd take off. It took a little bit to get the leash of the dog grabbed and get the kid to take the dog home.
I was shaken up. Luckily I had amazing friends who had their heads about them. We got Matthew checked out and pictures taken of the injuries, we got animal control called....don't get me started on that one it still makes me mad. We are still trying to complete the report as animal control was not open but the police wouldn't handle it, just call animal control in the morning...ugh! We got all of us under control, called John to tell him what happened and started loading up to head home. On the way home the owner of the dog came out with the dog to introduce us to the dog and see what he could do and to show us what a nice harmless dog he was. I just told him I didn't know I was way to shaken up to talk about it and wanted to go home. We took his info and went home. Matthew then once safe in his home went to my room and sobbed hysterically for 20 minutes. It broke my heart. The first words out of his mouth when he came out of my room from being so upset about the bite was to apologize to Harrison for snapping at him when Harrison checked on him while he was crying and to apologize to Harrison for not finishing their game. What a wonderful son I have. As far as injuries the dog scratched up his knee pretty good with his teeth, he punctured skin in two different places that were bleeding though minor, and scratches throughout his legs from teeth of dog along with a twisted ankle from trying to get away from the dog. Somedays it doesn't pay to play instead of going home and doing jobs. I'm just glad it's not everyday like this or we'd never leave our house.
Okay I said I'd do something frustrating and something touching but I'm tired now so I'll leave that to type tomorrow. Here's a teaser, red lipstick a song, a batptism and a mission call.
3 comments:
sorry to hear that he was attacked, but glad to hear the injuries weren't too bad.
that must have been terrifying for matthew. this sounds bad for everybody. this dog has probably never done this before but you know there has got to be consequences. the other kid is going to be hurt. too. and the family at first at least seems like they want to mend things too. but matthew should never have had that happen to him. hopefully this won't haunt him too long and he'll be okay for soccer with the ankle. he is very sweet with his brother.
WOW scary! Michael was attacked by our neighbors dog when he was only 3 and we ended up at the ER with stitches on his face! I never trust an animal with children, you never know!
Post a Comment