So over the weekend we had some friends kids at our house. They aren't members of the Church that we are. We all know that some of the "lingo" of mormons can be confusing to outsiders, like we are LDS not LSD, that we go to stake centers for meeting but you can't get meat there, that popcorn grows on trees, etc, etc, etc...
So we know all this yet we bring others to church who it must all be confusing to. Well that was something that was reminded to me how much we take certain things for granted when it comes to the gospel.
He was shocked when everyone carried a bible with them, even the little kids. But when he told his mom about the sad, sad, song they sang when just the kids were together. In prodding he said it was a song about a dad who had died. I was floored when his mom told me this. As many misunderstood things there were I couldn't come up with any song we have about a dad who died. It was then she told me the phrase in the song that made him so sad. It was a song about "a father in heaven".
As I pondered on this, there were a few things that came to my mind. Those things we take for granted. I feel so blessed that I know and understand that God is my Father in Heaven. He loves me and blesses me as his child. This is something so many in the world don't know and understand. Not only do I know this but my children are blessed to be raised to know this from such a young age. This is something my children are blessed to just take for granted. I love my children and am so grateful that they know not only do we love them but they also have a heavenly father that loves them.
I'm always afraid to share the gospel, to push my beliefs on others, but this has given me a reason to take a step back. Maybe I'm not pushing my gospel on someone, but having the opportunity to help them understand how loving their Heavenly Father is to them.
1 comment:
excellent point! turn that sadness into gladness!
Post a Comment