The Arizona Nevels Family

The Arizona Nevels Family

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter Egg Coloring


One tradition that I love that my husband hates is the annual coloring of the Easter Eggs. The consuming of the eggs is not an issue. We'll go through them faster than is healthy my family loves boiled eggs, egg salad sandwiches, potato salad, and deviled eggs enough that they'll be gone before we know it. No, the part I love and he hates is the actual coloring of them. This year I thought I'd drive him nuts even more. Okay, so that wasn't really my purpose, but I did know going into it that that would be the result. We got some fresh fruits and veggies and made our own dies using food and colored the eggs that way.

Some were much more successful than others. Matthew was the most fun as he stayed there with me through it all checking it all out being completely fascinated by what color the vegetable was, what color the die ended up being, and then what color the egg was in the end.

We wrapped some with red and yellow onion peels and secured them with rubber bands.

Then boiled them with the peels on. I love the look of these ones. They were my favorites. (no, not because they were the least work, which they were.)



We had fresh blueberries to use for the die for these eggs, but Ellie sat and ate the entire container while we were getting other dyes ready so we ended up using frozen blueberries.


These pretty pinkish ones were from beets. No real surprise on color there.

But these pretty brown ones were from yellow onion peels. We didn't expect them to get so dark and pretty from that.

Orange peels were pretty subtle.

Spinach was the most work and yielded very little color. We have heard that frozen spinach works better.

Again the red onion peels were seriously incredible how dark they got the eggs in comparison to other things. Plus it's the cheepest so likely the ones we'd do over again.

From the looks of the dye we didn't have much expectations from the carrots but they dyed better than we expected, though not at all the color we expected.

Where from looking at the dye we had high expectations from the chili's but they yeilded not a great result.

They were overall much more subtle earthy colors which I love! The other kids were happy we still had half the eggs left to color in the store bought colors. John didn't think a whole extra set of colors and mess was worth the more vibrant Easter colors. He is just happy it's done and over with!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Great job! I totally considered doing this as well, but in the end went with the much-less-effort food coloring. Maybe we'll try it the natural way next year.

brooke romney said...

Pretty cool, and I'd feel much better eating those. Way to go...lots of effort on your part with an ice pick headache and everything!

brooke romney said...

Pretty cool, and I'd feel much better eating those. Way to go...lots of effort on your part with an ice pick headache and everything!

Melynde said...

My comment has nothing to do with the eggs but how handsome your boy Matthew is. That kid sure is growing up into quite a nice young man isn't he.
Very nice glasses Matthew!! The girls must love you. ;)

Nicole said...

Very cool!!! I am going to try this next year. Great pictures. I got a kick out of John not liking this tradition!!