The Arizona Nevels Family
The Arizona Nevels Family
Friday, September 11, 2009
Remembering
So I woke up this morning feeling achy and not wanting to get out of bed and move. It was a feeling of dejavu. I laid there for about 20 min trying to figure out why I felt this way. My back/neck hurt but I'm going to physical therapy today, just tired, what? Then finally it dawned on me what today's date is, it's 9/11. I stopped and thought about where I was 8 years ago today. I had been in bed, we were living in California at the time. John called me and told me to turn on the TV. I was really tired and didn't want to bother yet. So I waited a while. When Matthew woke up I turned on the TV and saw the horror that had just unfolded/and was still unfolding. I was in shock, trying to figure out how real it all really was. I sat there all day not really doing much but watching it all over and over again on TV. At one point I heard Matthew playing in the background and he was the bad guy and gonna make the plane crash and kill everyone. It snapped me out of the shock and made me stop and take stock. As horrific as what had happened was, what was I getting by sitting there watching it again and again all day. It was what my sweet 3 year old was watching on TV over and over again. So I decided that if it meant the end of America, which part of me wondered if it did, especially living close to San Francisco at the time, then that would happen whether I sat and watched it over and over again on TV. All I could do was love and prepare my kids to choose the right and return to Heavenly Father. So I turned off the TV and talked to my kids about what had happened and focused on them and how much I loved them. It was strange how hard it was to turn off the TV that day. It made me think about how Satan works. Not only was what those terrorist did a horrible thing, but I was allowing Satan to have control of my mind and my family by my need to keep the TV on watching the evil. So my challenge each each year to myself as I remember that day and all that was sacrificed and lost is to take the day and turn off the TV..or computer or whatever it is, and focus on the things that really matter and leave the rest for just one day. So I'm signing off for the day. I love my kids and family and friends and working on serving and accomplishing today.
No comments:
Post a Comment